Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Site Admin

Question Incident vs action taken ratio

I know many of us have interactions with drivers that are less thank positive-- but I got to wondering-- are there any statistics of action taken against drivers who act aggressive to bikers? It seems that all we do is have close calls but no closure on the situation. Man-- it can really get you down when you see all the reports of situations but no reports about the driver getting fined, etc.

So if you have any data-- or just a nice closure-- I would really like to hear it on this bleak day....
Old 09-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Site Admin

Default agreed

i share the same exact sentiment. i find it baffling the things people will allow other people to get away with reading a few incidents on the 'close calls' forum.

one where someone had their life explicitly threatened ("i'm going to run you over as soon as you pull away from this light") while being called racist names ("you white motherfucker, i'm gonna run you over!"). and how the cops caught up with this person, and the victim declined to press charges where if they had, the person's vehicle would have been impounded and they would have been arrested.

or the other story i read was where someone was driving out on sauvie island with their son and for no reason someone in a huge truck repeatedly tried to run them over or run them off the road. and the incident escalated to the point of the man getting out of his truck and physically assaulting the two. and they had the vehicle license, and gave up persuing it when the portland police told them they didn't have jurisdiction on sauvie island.

i guess people can conduct themselves how ever they want when these things happen, but it doesn't make me feel good that there are people out there pulling road raging incidents all the time and because certain people have let them get away with it in the past they feel like they can do it whenever their fancy strikes them.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Site Admin

This might work in a pinch...

http://www.udap.com/product.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (6.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Site Admin

I've certainly had some close calls, but nothing like some of the actively aggressive motorists stories I read on bikeportland. It's probably a good thing too - if I was truely being threatened I don't think I'd be able to take the 'ride away and call 911' approach - and that would probably end badly for me. I'd get hurt, or, more likely, go to jail for kicking some dumbasses face in.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock View Post
I've certainly had some close calls, but nothing like some of the actively aggressive motorists stories I read on bikeportland. It's probably a good thing too - if I was truely being threatened I don't think I'd be able to take the 'ride away and call 911' approach - and that would probably end badly for me. I'd get hurt, or, more likely, go to jail for kicking some dumbasses face in.

Yeah, nobody wants to go prison on a measure 11 for protecting yourself. The Police just needs to start having a full time bicycle patrol in Downtown, at the very least. Once a few police get hit, shit will change.

Last edited by TCR Punk; 09-20-2006 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Title
Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Site Admin

Unhappy report, and they will think twice next time

When some guy tried several times to squish me between his car and a row of parked vehicles on Southwest Broadway around the Nordstrom store, I branded his license plate in my brain (sadly, I still remember it something like _seven_ years later: 701 ANU).

A motorist (in an SUV no less!) stopped to say he couldn't believe I was alive, after witnessing the incident, so I was grateful to get his contact info as well.

I called the cops as soon as I got to work, and they came over to take the report. You've got to be up for it: reliving the trauma for the cops to take the statement, getting weird looks from coworkers who wonder what you did to earn a police visit, and enduring the slow-moving justice system.

Luckily, the DA took an interest in the case, hopefully not just because I worked for a powerful downtown law firm, and pressed charges on my behalf. It helps I had the witness. And I doubt I could have done anything without the license number and a description of the car and driver (remember, the driver can always say someone else was driving).

The cops went that morning to his house for a visit.

Months later, we went to court and told our stories. The guy actually cried, so earned Judge Roosevelt Robinson's sympathy, who only gave him a short probation period and the order to write a letter of apology. The latter I thought was kind of funny, but one that I knew would be hard for the guy to do. He pretty much hated seeing me even more the second time around, for (he thought) making his life a living hell. Right.

To make a long story longer, Judge Robinson let him off because not only did he never write the letter, he never even had to complete the full length of his probation. It's disheartening the system didn't really work for me, but I can tell you, the guy will probably think a little harder about using his vehicle against cyclists next time -- or at least more than he would have had he never gotten a visit from the cops or had to spend some fun time in court.

Then again, about a year later someone from the DA's office called me to say the guy had road raged again, this time against another motorist. I was able to tell my experience, maybe helping to build a case against him, or interest in developing a case.

I can understand why people let drivers' threats and rudeness slide because I know how much time & effort go into making something happen. Still, if it's about getting unsafe drivers off the street, and helping more cyclists get out there with confidence, no one will ever know about a potential danger unless you take violent drivers to the cops and the courts.