Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Fanno Creek Trail loop - Downtown and back

The first time I did this, I did it cowboy style. No maps and little information on how to get to the start of Fanno Creek Trail in Beaverton. After that, I "winged" the whole thing. It was a fun ride overall that put me through L.O. and eventually on Capital HWY (Horrible experience) to downtown. I want to do it again, but would like a more low traffic/low incline route.

I don't spend a lot of time west of the hills nor in SW. I am pretty sure I can find a good route from Goose Hollow to Fanno Creek Trail head in Beaverton. At the end of Fanno Creek, what is the best route to take into L.O.? I would like to take Tyron Creek Trail back into downtown. After Tyron Creek, what is my best bet? Terwilliger? I still haven't rode over the west hills, what would be the best route from Goose Hollow to Fanno Creek Trailhead in Beaverton?

I know I am asking a lot. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I am taking a friend that just moved here a few months ago and I would like to give them the best experience of this loop possible.

Please and Thank You,
dmc aka James on the Kool Lemon Schwinn Super Sport. (ALAN has already spotted me. ahaha)
Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Site Admin

Use maps.google.com and turn on the bicycling view.

This is a good starting point giving you dedicated infrastructure, like mups and trails. It also shows roads with bike lanes.

There also this link http://www.oregonswashingtoncounty.c...?category_root[]=&type_root[]=385&search=1&sort=A-Z&page=1&us=263&target=directory_results

Scroll down a bit and there are a number of adobe maps you can download, which show trails, bike lanes and low traffic roads.

They also have a more comprehensive map which you can order from the website or pick up at the Washington County Visitor Association, 12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 210, Beaverton, OR 97005 | Open M-F, 9am-5pm

Hope this helps
Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for the links and Ideas. Using google map's bike feature in conjunction with some of the maps on the washington county website I was able to create a nice loop. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Site Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
(ALAN has already spotted me. ahaha)
Very nice bike you have there! A pleasure to say "hi," too.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Site Admin

I love doing the trail route about where you were aiming for. My choice for West to East is SW Multnomah Blvd out from the end of the Garden Home trail. Terwilliger is obviously the most scenic route where from L.O. it is the trail and then you can pick up the formal roadway. That will get you all the way back into town. Or you can cross the Sellwood bridge and follow the Springwater trail out of Oaks Bottom.

There are just too many options for a really nice ride. But yes, a good map and some idea of what roads or tails you do want to cover helps.

I create maps with MapMyRide and RideWithGPS. They really help with some critical information regarding terrain.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Site Admin

Here is a recommended trail ride that captures much of the wonders we have the privilege to enjoy.

You can see it here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3775717
Old 12-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for the great info Simple Nature. I had been curious about SW Multnomah BLVD. I am definitely going to incorporate some of your route into my ride. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Site Admin

Nice job SimpleNature; that is a really nice way of tying together some great metro routes.

Hopefully by the end of 2014 Tigard will have completed the Fanno Creek connection from the Hwy 99 underpass to Woodard Park.

I also saw a project plan somewhere that looked like Tigard has grant money to create a direct path from the Ki-A-Cuts Tualatin River bridge to the S end of SW 85th (Hall extension). While there is nothing wrong with winding through the park on a nice day, it will be great to have the shortcut for commuters and through cyclists.