Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Clackamas River fall scenery ride

It is a great time of year to ride up the Clackamas river from Estacada on Hwy 224. Last weekend traffic was light and fall colors starting to appear. If you go make sure to take the right turn onto Faraday Road (1.1 miles upriver from the Hwy 211/224 junction at the edge of Estacada). After you go by a parking area the road is closed to all but PGE maintenance vehicles and bicycles for 4 miles of great pavement and scenery along the river and by two PGE hydro dams. As an added benefit you miss the long climb the new highway 224 alignment takes over the hill.

After rejoining the Clackamas River highway along the North Fork Reservoir you can continue up to the Ripplebrook ranger station and camp store, about 26 miles from Estacada. It is mostly a gradual uphill with constant views of the river rapids, with one fairly steep climb a mile before the ranger station. A mile past the ranger station brings you to the end of Hwy 224. From there NF road 47 heads up to Timothy Lake (I did that years ago) or NF 46 would take you to Detroit Lake (never tried that). In my case I turned around here and headed back downhill to Estacada, for a total of 54 miles.

Recommended.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Site Admin

Sounds like a great ride. I haven't done any riding through those parts yet.