Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Site Admin

Enjoy you rides
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

easier riding into PDX from Beaverton than the other way around
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Site Admin

Worst part of the OP's route for me would be from NE over and through Downtown. Serious, stinky traffic issues to deal with in that section of the route. Once through Downtown to the foot of the West Hills, climbing through for example, Washington Park...is a workout, but a gorgeous, peaceful setting.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Site Admin

Depends on what you're comfortable with. I commuted downtown for years, and never had problems - Ankeny to Burnside and up 3rd, and you're golden. Broadway or further north and it's slightly trickier just because you have to navigate the general area of the Rose Quarter, but still doable. The only part of town I really fear to go is Lake O - every time I'm down there, if a driver doesn't take a shot at me, it's a pedestrian or bad infrastructure.

That said, a few months on crutches will definitely make one more trepidacious.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Site Admin

Today I was told by Beaverton's finest that taking the left lane before TV Hwy on Hall N.B. at Farmington Rd. was illegal. Although I insisted my intended lane was a left turn just across from TV Hwy which required one to be in the 3rd lane on the left, he continued to insist that I could only maintain the right lane as the law states that if there is no bike lane (after Farmington) that a bike must remain as far to the right as possible. So when are we suppose to work our way to your intended lane?

Anyway, if you look at this on a map and typical traffic patterns, and you indeed want to make the left after TV Hwy, this officer's recommendation is a great way to get killed if you try to establish that lane after Farmington.

He did have the nerve to tell me that a bicycle had the choice of using the sidewalk in Beaverton, and he did not know about no-sidewalk-biking in Hillsboro downtown. Hall at Farmington is considered Beaverton Town Center. The fact that he even suggested this just uirked me to no end.

And what set this off? The yahoo behind me that decided to honk at me through the Farmington intersection and sped around me. Not only was there obvious bias, but a potential road rage candidate was dismissed. I've done this route hundreds of times and never once has anyone done that. Maybe some impatience from time to time, but never this blatant. And now that it was witnessed by law enforcement, it was the cyclist that takes the heat. We have a long way to go to make cycling the norm in the USA.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 AM
Site Admin

Going to Millikan, I always made the turn in 2 parts. Farmington is a long way back, longer than I'd want to hold up cars, and its really hard to change lanes after TV.

He was wrong of course... if you need a left, that is about where you want to start moving over. I just never liked that much unless I got a red light at TV to move over. Beaverton does have a downtown sidewalk law... double check that one before you get a ticket for that.

Quote:
6.02.410: Prohibits riding upon a sidewalk where official signs prohibit bicycle riding.

Fine Not to Exceed $50.00
So look for signs.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Site Admin

Simple Nature, comment #15:

Here's the spec from Oregon statute 814.420 that provides for riding outside of the bike lane in preparation for making a left turn:

"...(3) (b) Preparing to execute a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. ..." http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/814.420

When riding Hall, northbound...(which is an important, common route from homes to, for example, the main Beaverton Library, it's big adjoining park, and the Saturday Farmer's Market, two big Beaverton attractions increasing numbers of people are traveling to and from.)...changing lanes well in advance of and in preparation for intended left turns, from the bike lane across Hall's three main lanes of traffic, is what I consider to be a sensible thing to do, and that's a road use that seems to be compliant with 814.420.

Making the switch over between Farmington and Broadway, for a left on either Broadway, Canyon (aka TV Hwy west of town), seems right to me. It's what I do. Psyfalcon makes a good point in thinking to not hold up traffic, but let's face it, Hall, being one half of the Hall/Watson couplet, and one of Beaverton's more heavily used thoroughfares, controlled by numerous lights, frequently slows down, even to stop and go traffic, north of 5th. Unless a slow vehicle really is somehow just plodding along at 10 mph or less in the middle lane with no apparent intention to turn, while other traffic is whizzing past to the right and left, I believe it's probably legal for any type vehicle to be using any of the main lanes of that road.

A few more things: hope that you displayed clearly visible, sustained hand signals as you made the lane changes, and that you managed to keep your cool while you were listening and talking with the officer. It seems to me that it would be good to somehow find out just how well familiar all of Beaverton PD officers, especially the ones doing traffic patrol, are with applied use of Oregon law by people riding bikes on the city's streets.

Actually, your experience may be one that might pay to put before the Beaverton Bike Advisory Committee. Meets once a month, usually an officer is present at least for the beginning of the meeting to give a short update/presentation as part of the agenda. Been a long while since I've been to one of those meetings, but some of the people on the committee then, did have a first-hand understanding about use of bikes in traffic.

City officials...including Beaverton's mayor (I had a brief talk with him a few months ago in which he advised me that he himself commonly rides the city's sidewalks to avoid difficult traffic situations.)...may possibly not have the best understanding of road use needs on the part of people needing to use the city's thoroughfares for travel by bike. Partly I suspect, because not enough people that ride are communicating with the city about their needs.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Site Admin

ORS 814.430 allows for operation of a bicycle as near as practicable to the left curb of a one-way street. If there is not sufficient space for a car to pass safely, then you should be able to legally take the lane.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Site Admin

Count me with the others, here. The cop was wrong to suggest you had to remain on the right or that you should take the sidewalk. Both 814.420 and 814.430 allow bikes to move left in similar situations, and it makes sense to me to take that lane in this case. I like wsbob's suggestion to take the matter to the BBAC; it's a good opportunity to bring city cops up to speed on bike laws.

I say "similar situations" because I do see a little gray area. Looking at streetviews it looks like there's a left-only lane onto Farmington (TV Hwy 10), and from Simple Nature's description he was actually going just past Farmington to take his left, perhaps into the alley just past the RR tracks? Since the left-most lane is left ONLY, and since S.N. is actually going past the Farmington left, maybe the correct legal place to be is in the center "go straight" lane south of Farmington, moving to the left side of that lane as it becomes the left-most lane as it crosses Farmington. Does that make sense?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Site Admin

Indeed, there is always -gray- since that is the way law is set up. However, when reasonable doubt exists, citizens should always be given preference.

Indeed, both 814.420 and 814.430 have all the information regarding relative law. The key words in the law include "preparing to execute..." which in this case, any car would do the same.

I did keep my cool even though the officer clearly favored an aggressive motor vehicle operator by tell me "...and I don't blame them!". In the law, cyclists are also considered "vulnerable persons" where the actions of the car was actually a significant offense. Had the officer waited a few moments, literally seconds, he would have known my intent and could (and should) have pursued the aggressive driver. This is the bias that urk'd me the most and has by doing so placed even more cyclists in danger.

You are right wsbob. I will make it a point to get to the next BBAC meeting. This needs resolution. Hesitation in a maneuver that is proven reliable poses more danger to me than knowing that I am indeed following the intent of the law.