Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Site Admin

Default Road Rage OR Zwm 514

I just winessed a unsettling situation. It was on NW Glisan between 11th and 12th at 8:10 pm on 9/11. A male biker clad in all the gear (helmet, backpack, lights) was heading west in the right lane with a white sedan (Lexus?) behind. The driver was honking repeatedly at the biker and the biker was waving the driver around.

Traffic was light and the driver could have easily passed the biker. Instead, the driver slowed to stay behind the biker honking. After too much of this weird behavior, the biker stopped and threw down his bike. He then paused in front of the car asking "what?". The biker approached the driver to see what he was doing, but the driver did not roll down the window. The biker then shouted "YOU ARE GOING TO HURT SOMEONE!!" a few times, proceeded to the front of the car and picked up his bike. The driver made a bad situation worse and honked again. The biker stood his ground.

So at this point a us postal service semi (we get a lot of them on Glisan) who was behind the white car had seen the situation and stopped well behind leaving lots of room. The white driver could have reversed and gone around the biker. He chose to stay there, honking, and maybe even moving a little closer to the biker.

Eventually the biker started riding again and the white car sped around him to the red light. When the light turned green, the biker continued in the right lane and the car in the left lane, but the car honked again, took a small swerve in the direction of the biker, and took off. The cars plate # looked like Oregon ZWM 514. After this occured, things went back to normal and I watched many bikers riding up Glisan and drivers were sharing the road as usual.

I am shocked by what I saw. Such a blatant disregard for a biker and right here in Portland! I thought this was biker heaven, but clearly I was wrong. I understand being careful and aware of your surrundings so you can avoid an accident, but this was just outright driver road rage, and I guess you can't really see something like this coming.

Thanks for providing the forum to share this information.

Last edited by bootpdx; 09-11-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Site Admin

So why didn't you offer to testify? With a witness, the biker could file charges, which would create a record of anti-cyclist behavior in the driver's file (important if the cops ever had to look for a white sedan involved in a hit & run, for example....)
Old 09-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Doing what I can.

I viewed this occur from my third floor balcony. I was concerned with getting the driver's plate #. I posted here hoping the biker would peruse these forums and see my post. Sorry to have disappointed you Rixtir, we do what we can in the situation, you know?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Site Admin

Sorry for the accusatory tone. I really didn't mean it that way, but I know it came across that way.

My hope is that when people read my posts on these encounters, they'll realize there is something we can do to stop these aggressive drivers. We need to get their license numbers, we need to be able to I.D. the driver, and we need witnesses.

I'm glad you posted the information you got. Maybe the cyclist will see it, and he can take steps to get this guy cited for his aggressive behavior. You're doing the right thing-- exactly what I hope people will do when they witness these encounters.

And when we're assaulted by these aggressive drivers, we cyclists need to see if there were any witnesses. In this case, there obviously was, and in this case, the driver can be prosecuted.

Last edited by Rixtir; 09-12-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Site Admin

Default I'd have considered calling the police.

Let the dispatcher know what was going on, the license plate #, etc...

Then I probably would have gone down to see what the commotion was all about. Or if I had a cell, I'd have done both. And If I had a camera phone...
These things don't take too long to play out. From my home, I can't see the street, but I can hear all. Usually by the time I get out there the situation is disipated. Nevertheless, I try to respond. I wonder what was going through the mind of the motorist, besides 'press horn,' doesn't sound very constructive. I'll bet the cyclist was pretty shaken, I know I would be.