Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Site Admin

Default Portland drivers: too nice?

I see there is a thread about actions by nice Portland drivers. But can they be too nice?

For instance, what do you all think about drivers who yield--nay, abdicate--their right of way at intersections and wave at you to go through?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Site Admin

that is by far my biggest pet peeve when riding and it happens almost every time i'm out on the bike. especially when i'm crossing a busy street and clearly do not have the right of way... i make a point of not moving when drivers stop, i turn and point at the stop sign to my right and wave them on, usually attempting to smile while doing so. i've even had a police car stop and had to wave them on... . you'd think they would know the rules of the road?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Site Admin

One of the worst things for me about that business of drivers within their car motioning with their hand behind the windshield, is that often I can't see them well enough, because of glare from the sky on their windshield, to know whether they're trying to signal me to proceed first, or not. Yesterday while I was driving, I encountered such a person. I could see their car out my windshield, just fine, but I couldn't see them behind their windshield.

They probably can see the road just fine from their side of the windshield, and may not know that people they're attempting to signal to, sometimes can't see them.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Site Admin

I refuse to budge when it is clearly not in my best interest to do so. They are actually making it more dangerous because often there is another very impatient person behind them that do some pretty stupid things. I wave these people on and fold my arms.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Site Admin

Mostly I see that at quiet 4-way stops without other traffic. There it is pretty low on my list of concerns. No, I won't go if it's not safe but I stop, or pretty close to it anyway, and if we're both stopping at the same time and they're clearly waving me to go first I won't quibble and spend both of our time debating it. (Again, as long as it's safe to go.)

Other situations can get more threatening due to such false courtesy because other drivers don't recognize what the obsequious driver is doing and may do something unpredictable to get around them.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I refuse to budge when it is clearly not in my best interest to do so. They are actually making it more dangerous because often there is another very impatient person behind them that do some pretty stupid things. I wave these people on and fold my arms.
Ditto.
I shake my head NO, point at the stop sign and pointedly remove my hands from anywhere near the handlebars of my bike.

Long ago, when learning to drive, I noticed that no one born after seat belts really pays attention to the part of all DMV training manuals about right of way at a 4-way stop when all parties arrive at the same time. Even if I did it doesn't matter because others will screw it up. So, when approaching a 4-way stop, I asses inbound vehicles and slow down (speeding up seems to cause a visceral competition reaction) so that I will arrive obviously not at the same time as other drivers. Works like a charm.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthand View Post
what do you all think about drivers who yield--nay, abdicate--their right of way at intersections and wave at you to go through?
I think they're an idiot and they don't know what they're doing...

I don't think they're nice for being stupid... sometimes I think that THEY think they're being nice...

but mostly I think that THEY think they HAVE to stop for me to let me go because I'm on a bicycle...

I had it happen multiple times within a mile one afternoon in NW a couple weeks ago...

Tags
right of way, yield