Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Site Admin

Default flats, flats and more flats

Has anyone else been experiencing more flat tires in the last month or so?

My theory is that the relatively small amounts of rain that we've been having provide just enough moisture so that sharp objects adhere to my tires. Then they work their way in. And then I get a flat.

More rain and the sharp objects would be washed away. Less rain and there would be less moisture and the sharp objects would not adhere to the tires.

I've been mostly using 700x28 Continental Gatorskins. To see if it would change my luck, I put a Specialized all-condition 700x28 on the front wheel the other day. It flatted too.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Site Admin

I don't know that rain washes away small objects that can flat bike tires, but I kind of doubt it. The tire meeting up with a sharp object at the right angle is what I expect, drives them into the tire.

My theory for some of the flatting during winter, ties to the road crews laying down flinty gravel to counter slippery ice. Ice goes away, car tires swoosh the flint onto the shoulder or the bike lane area of the road. Visually from up on the bike, that flint on the road appears so small, and blends in with the road, many people might not even think to try avoid it by taking the lane.

If you're riding where that type of gravel has been laid down this winter, that could be your problem. Otherwise, it's probably routine junk on the road.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Site Admin

i always got lots of flats w/gatorskins. i've had good luck for the last number of years with panaracer urban max. they are 32s - they make basically the same tire in smaller widths called 't-serv pt'.
the water is not causing more stuff to stick to your tires; however it is providing extra lubrication for that stuff to gradually work its way into the rubber.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Site Admin

when I first started riding to work a lot I noticed I started getting lots of flats in the winter...

I blamed it on all the blackberry bushes along my route... there were often a lot of them sneaking into the bike lane and then when winter comes those ends will die and shed their thorns...

then I bought some Continental Top Contact II tires and haven't had a flat in a couple years...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Site Admin

Thumb-P: contrary data point - I've had great luck with Conti Gatorskins (28's) - it may just be that, but there you have it.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 AM
Site Admin

Default Winter Tire Maintenance

There's no doubt that water acts like a lubricant and helps things like slivers of glass slice into the tire more easily.

As a maintenance tip, go through your tires ones a week. Clean and wipe them off first, and then slowly spin through them (like 1 inch at a time) and you will see pieces of glass and rock embedded in your tires that haven't fully penetrated yet. Use tweezers or a small pointed knife to gently flick them out. Eventually they'll work through the kevlar and give you a flat. Wear eye protection, of course. A flashlight helps too.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Site Admin

I agree with the weekly tire inspection. Seems like I always find a couple shards to pick out.
I also carry a broom strapped to my top tube. The 205 path is a brew pub for Portland's urban outdoorsmen. Not sure why it's easier to smash a bottle than recycle it. But I have discovered that it takes less time to sweep a smashed bottle out of the way than to keep running over it and eventually flat. I ride 18 mi round trip most every day and haven't flatted for almost 2 years.
But now I've jinxed it!!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Site Admin

when doing your tire inspection it also helps to deflate them somewhat. that way you can squeeze open cracks and crevices to dig out the sharp pointy bits...

@oldguy - thanks for sweeping!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb My proposal for broken glass issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguyonabike View Post
I agree with the weekly tire inspection. Seems like I always find a couple shards to pick out.
I also carry a broom strapped to my top tube. The 205 path is a brew pub for Portland's urban outdoorsmen. Not sure why it's easier to smash a bottle than recycle it. But I have discovered that it takes less time to sweep a smashed bottle out of the way than to keep running over it and eventually flat. I ride 18 mi round trip most every day and haven't flatted for almost 2 years.
But now I've jinxed it!!
My proposal for broken glass issues...

Increase the bottle deposit to 25 for glass, 10 for plastic and aluminium. Make it too expensive for people to casually toss them on the ground.

While they're at it, up the fine for offensive littering if glass is involved.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
While they're at it, up the fine for offensive littering if glass is involved.
"offensive littering"?
Is this some new extreme sport?
It conjures images of Tom Green or a Robot Chicken skit about high speed trash can dumping from the back of a pickup truck at other road users to see if you can get them to wipe out.

Tags
flats