Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Site Admin

Question untrue wheel (sounds like a country song)

someone popped the quick release on my wheel at a crowded bike rack. after i put my wheel back on, i tried to get it to stop rubbing the brakes and frame for two days before i noticed that it's just plain bent. i'd like to think that didn't happen at the bike rack -- a couple concerned bikers had pointed out my wobbly wheel in the past, though there was no rubbing before.

i have romantic notions of truing the wheel myself a la "triplets of belleville," but given that cartoon physics don't apply, i'll probably just leave it to the experts. if i bring it in, should i ask them to straighten the wheel, or do i just buy a new one? why one and not the other?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Site Admin

Personally it doesnt sound like the wheel itself is bent.

1st check the quick release...make sure the wheel is centered properly on the forks and then clamp down the quick release again.

2nd if that didnt fix it see if a new quick release shaft fixes it

3rd have the bike shop "true" the wheel.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Site Admin

Bike shop should be able to true it. Should be cheap -- under $15, I believe. New wheels? Much, much more.

I read somewhere that the best way to keep your wheels true is to keep your tires pumped up. Anecdotally, it works for me.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Site Admin

Smile thanks

it definitely was the wheel. i had tried the adjusting the quick release (to near insanity) when i noticed that no matter how i positioned the wheel, the same exact spot on the wheel was hitting the frame every time.

it wasn't truing, though, but a spoke. i called citybikes and they said two weekends from now if you're lucky, so i took it to the bike shop on 44th and belmont, where they noticed i had a broken spoke. they fixed that, put the wheel on straight, and it's a nice ride again. $12.65 ($12 for labor, and $0.65 per spoke, they said), and done the next morning. they also gave me the interesting news that there may be a voodoo donuts opening across the street from them. laissez les bon temps roulez!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up thanks!

it definitely was the wheel. i had tried adjusting the quick release (to near insanity) when i noticed that no matter how i positioned the wheel, the same exact spot on the wheel was hitting the frame every time.

it wasn't truing, though, but a spoke. i called citybikes and they said two weekends from now if you're lucky, so i took it to the bike shop on 44th and belmont, where they noticed i had a broken spoke. they fixed that, put the wheel on straight, and it's a nice ride again. $12.65 ($12 for labor, and $0.65 per spoke, they said), and done the next morning. they also gave me the interesting news that there may be a voodoo donuts opening across the street from them. laissez les bon temps rouler!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Site Admin

Lol...yeah well sorry, but I always like to go through all the possible obvious but overlooked problems first before spending cash.

Glad you got it fixed pretty cheap.

Last edited by GelFreak; 09-13-2006 at 03:47 PM.