Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Site Admin

Lightbulb Guys on Bikes

Does anyone know about the relationship between prolonged bike riding and testicular cancer or impotence? I had a friend visit from out of town and that's the first thing he mentioned when I told him that I bike everywhere. Is there one type of bike seat that's better than another type in this regard?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Site Admin

Yeah, specialized was the first to reconize and create a seat that eliminated that problem.

Check out the seats specialized offers;
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...uipSaddlesRoad
Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Site Admin

Wink the cutout saddle

It took me a long time to find a good cut-out saddle. I now swear by the Selle Italia SLK. I was having some numbing problems using the classic Flite or any other "regular" saddle before finding the SLK.

Cut-out saddles vary greatly. I had trouble with a lot of them because they came to a peak at each side of the cutout. That increased the pressure on those peaks, therefore causing saddle sores. The SLK is actually fairly flat, so I found it to distribute my weight better. But you really need to find what fits YOU. Specialized actually makes a board that is heat sensitive; you sit on it to determine your appropriate saddle width. Might be worth calling around to see if anyone has that...
Old 09-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Site Admin

This is total armchair medical advice, but my guess is that your choice of saddle depends on where your sensitive bits rest on the saddle. It's probably influenced to some extent by how aggressively you're set out over the bars and how much your pelvis is rolled forward or backward.

I also have a Selle Italia saddle, but one with a cutout much nearer the front. Figure out where your pereneum (sp?) is resting on your saddle, and you can probably eliminate some saddles. For example, that SLK looks way too solid for someone like me who sits a little further up on the nose.

If that Specialized thing is true, that'd be really, really cool (and would've saved me numerous returns).
Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Site Admin

Default testing saddles

Is there a bike shop in town where a guy can test out a saddle without buying, like get it installed and use it for a couple weeks? Or a shop that is willing to offer a return if I purchase a seat and don't like it?

I suppose I could go to a shop and ask too.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerdrone View Post
Is there a bike shop in town where a guy can test out a saddle without buying, like get it installed and use it for a couple weeks? Or a shop that is willing to offer a return if I purchase a seat and don't like it?

I suppose I could go to a shop and ask too.
Talk to Bike Gallery. I don't work there so I can't tell you exactly what their policy is but when I bought a Specialized Alias the saleswoman told me to wrap the rails with tape to prevent scratches as I adjusted and tried out the Saddle. If I was unhappy with the fit, I could have returned it within 30 days. As it happened, I was satisfied with the fit and kept the saddle.

Bill
Old 09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Site Admin

Did anyone call around to find that Specialized saddle fit board?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
Did anyone call around to find that Specialized saddle fit board?
They have one at Hollywood Bike Gallery... at least they did when I was there this spring.

Bill
Old 09-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Site Admin

Funny you should ask. Last year, I got sent NYT article by a friend. Clinical research shows that regular cycling is definitively associated with higher incidences of benign, i.e., non-cancerous, growths in the scrotum and perinaeum, as well as with significantly decreased rates of blood flow to the penis. Basically, traditional saddles put all their pressure on the area of the body (the perinaeum) where the nerves and blood vessels exit the pelvis and begin to form the penis. The compressed nerves and blood vessels contribute to impotence and repeated shocks seem to cause benign growths.

As people have said, there are saddle designs that significantly alleviate these problemns. Researchers also recommend that you get out of the saddle at least once every 20 minutes of riding for a few minutes in order to let the blood flow return.

I recently bought a bike and of course had to immediately replace the saddle with one that won't cause these problems. I mentioned it to the sales guy (at River City) and he was basically like, "Oh, that's BS. I think they just made that up to sell more saddles."

He couldn't be more wrong. But it's really only a risk for people who ride frequently, i.e., several times a week.

Protect your choad! Get a good saddle.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Site Admin

I saw on at the Bike Galley Hollywood store (as BillD mentioned) and River City has one too.

Have fun with that thing.