Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Site Admin

Default Looking for some 4130 Tubing around town

I am looking to try my hand at some bronze brazing ( then silver once I feel comfortable with it). Looking for some 4130 tubing to practice with.

1" od. .035 Thickness and 1 1/8" OD. .058 thickness, should have a .009" gap and I can practice brazing with these. Anyone know of somewhere around town that carries this locally?

Would prefer cheaper straight gauge to begin with since I plan to hack it apart to check the braze penetration on the first 20-30 joints

Thanks,
Randy
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Site Admin

Sorry, donno a specific source. Have you called some frame builders around town or United Bicycle Institute? You could also hack up a few cheap frames, file down some butted joints to a tight fit, jig them up and work on fillet brazing. Sounds like fun!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Site Admin

Just an update. I found a couple of places around town that carry what I was looking for. They have ridiculous prices. I ended up ordering some 4130 (straight gauge way cheaper for practice) online. After shipping it was still 65.00 vs the 188.00 that the local retailer wanted. Hit me up if you want the online address. ( don't want this to be interpreted as spam).
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5235 View Post
After shipping it was still 65.00 vs the 188.00 that the local retailer wanted.
wow that's a serious price difference... did you ask the local retailer if they could lower their price at all? I'm usually willing to spend a little more locally, but I've found some places would rather lose the sale completely rather than a percentage of the profit...

I don't think it's spam if you're just posting a price comparison... I'm just curious to know...
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Site Admin

Is the local supplier Metal Supermarket?
I needed a chunk of thick copper for a heat sink experiment and paid $10 for what was likely $1 worth in copper weight/scrap.

Still looking for someone that can encase/coat a 1" copper sphere or cube in thin stainless steel. I've had this kooky idea about a using a sealed copper weight like this as a non-diluting ice cube after sitting in dry ice or liquid nitrogen. But the copper ball/ice cube thing would need to be sealed in a chemically inert material like stainless steel and I'm not even sure if it is possible without tossing vast scads of money at the project.
I envision taking just one of these copper "ice cubes" off of dry ice with tongs, dropping it in a drink and watching as the drink crystallizes instantly and dramatically around the "ice cube".
Could be really neat if dropped in to supercooled water.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by q`Tzal View Post
Is the local supplier Metal Supermarket?
I needed a chunk of thick copper for a heat sink experiment and paid $10 for what was likely $1 worth in copper weight/scrap.

Still looking for someone that can encase/coat a 1" copper sphere or cube in thin stainless steel. I've had this kooky idea about a using a sealed copper weight like this as a non-diluting ice cube after sitting in dry ice or liquid nitrogen. But the copper ball/ice cube thing would need to be sealed in a chemically inert material like stainless steel and I'm not even sure if it is possible without tossing vast scads of money at the project.
I envision taking just one of these copper "ice cubes" off of dry ice with tongs, dropping it in a drink and watching as the drink crystallizes instantly and dramatically around the "ice cube".
Could be really neat if dropped in to supercooled water.
This sounds like when of them fancypants molecular gastronomy things. Just an idea if you manage to pull this off: Do this with some double/triple ales (you know, the good 8% stuff). The water would crystallize to your gadget, then you could pull it (with water crystals attached) and the resulting fluid would be a cold, high test brew of unusual density. I'm not saying it would be good, but it sure would be fun to try!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Site Admin

Default tubes

Mcmaster.com
small quantities, etc
You don't need this much clearance, brass (sometimes called bronze by welders)
does not flow, silver does
check out HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGH? available from the library