Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Site Admin

Default PDX to The Dalles

My daughter will be moving to The Dalles. So, of course, that'll be my new route. Will the Old Gorge Hwy take me to The Dalles? I'm guessing the earliest I'll be able to ride it is this coming spring. Thanks

DR
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Site Admin

Yes, I think so! Hopefully someone will chime in who has actually done the route but this looks helpful (I saved the the 1.8Mb PDF):

cms.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEPED/docs/columbiagorgebikemap.pdf

It has a bunch of info including routes, maps, elevation profiles, points of interest and more for Old Gorge Hwy, Hwy 14 and I-84 routes. A couple relevant paragraphs:
In certain sections (between Troutdale and Dodson and between Mosier and The Dalles) bicyclists share the roadway with motor vehicles. Shoulder widths vary from zero to five feet. Traffic volumes are generally light, with the heaviest traffic along the Sandy River to Corbett section. Grades are moderate. Other portions are closed to motor vehicles.
Three sections of the Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail are now open, with additional sections under construction. This is a separated, multi-use trail. Bicyclists traveling eastbound on I-84 are encouraged to exit at exit 40 and use the trail between Tanner Creek and Eagle Creek, to avoid the narrow Toothrock Tunnel on I-84. A stairway located at Eagle Creek provides a groove to facilitate pushing your bike up or down. A second section of the State Trail is open between Eagle Creek and Cascade Locks. This leads you directly into the city of Cascade Locks, where you can follow the original HCRH alignment along Wa-Na-Pa Street and Forest Lane (pg. 9). A third section, between Hood River and Mosier, includes the Mosier Twin Tunnels.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Site Admin

I think that it is almost time for the last bit of the MUP from Cascade Locks to Warrendale to be done. So no more riding on I-84. Soon.

The HCRH from Vista House to Latourell Falls is closed until this spring sometime for construction.

I am not sure you can avoid I-84 entirely between Hood River and Cascade Locks.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Site Admin

Default another Gorge bike map

i find this one a little more useful for nvigation than the ODoT map - scroll down the page to open detailed PDF maps:

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/transp...36638&a=322030

After Cascade Locks, the Herman Creek/Wyeth Rd. is nice & quiet (tho a bit of a climb) - that'll keep you off I-84 until Wyeth. From there you're on I-84 (tho i think there's a path you can follow for a few miles at Starvation Creek.
the freeway has a big shoulder (eastbound, I've never ridden it westbound) but it's noisy (you know that).

From Hood River to the Dalles the State trail is really nice, as is the old highway over Rowena Crest that'll take you on in to the Dalles.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Site Admin

Cool

There is about five miles of I-84 riding that you cannot avoid if you're cycling through to Hood River. From Hood River you can either stay on I-84, or take the old tunnel that is now a park and MUP that takes you into Mosier, and from there you follow 1st ave all the way to The Dalles. Watch for high winds when descending hills protected by cliff walls. They can knock one off the bike.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Site Admin

I saw a lot of trail construction going on late 2012 along I84. Is that done yet?

Can map that route?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Site Admin

I was just out riding this weekend. The trail from Cascade Locks to Yeon State Park isn't done yet. But the new pavement from Latourell Falls to Crown Point is awesome.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Site Admin

Going to ride the HCRH to Cascade Locks this coming Thursday during the heat wave . The link Jeff provided is very helpful and includes the new MUP extension.

I am really excited about finally doing this and have a few questions. There are no shoulders for a good portion of the trip on the HCRH and there is a double yellow do not pass. Should I be riding close to the shoulder and be suggesting that people pass me when safe to do so? Will the hillside completely shadow the road or will I be able to get some high noon sun this time of year? Will the morning/early afternoon hours offer less traffic going eastbound as people are commuting into Portland? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will post photos when I get back! Oh! I am gonna do a polar bear plunge in the Columbia River at Cascade Locks too! ahahah
Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Site Admin

Drivers will pass you when it is safe, double yellow or not. Sometimes even when it is not safe. But anyway, folks are on that road to see the pretty waterfalls. If they were in a hurry, they'd be on I-84.

The lanes are not wide enough to share. If there are many motor vehicles stacked up behind me, there are pullouts and driveways, and that works, too.

Have a nice ride!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Site Admin

I am very much looking forward to exploring those new trails.