Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > Forum Admin > Notices & Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Site Admin

Question what happened to calendar in the sidebar?

what happened to the calendar that used to be in the sidebar of the main page?

I know it's been gone for a while (months?) now, but just wondering why it was removed...

I thought it was a nice addition to remind me of things that were coming up, and it sometimes had things that weren't on the Shift calendar...

also, I don't remember where it was hosted... does somebody have a link to it?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Site Admin

BikePortland's homepage is Jonathan's bread and butter so he maximizes his eyeball returns, and in doing that he juggles stuff around. Also, the WordPress open source platform sometimes has development issues, for example the Facebook "Share" plugin broke after 10K hits on the Emily Fitch story (he tweeted about that). Or the "Featured Story" item, at the top of the middle-right column, glitched about two weeks ago, resulting in old stories suddenly getting top billing (and resulting comments, which then jacked the "Hot Topics" list around). It has now been replaced with "Photo of the Day." Or, awhile back, the "B-SMaRT" link for crashes and close calls disappeared but the page is still there. So, I suspect he checked his logs and found that the calendar wasn't pulling in the clicks that his customers pay for, so he traded its space for something else.

He does have this: http://bikeportland.org/calendar . It runs on DotCal.com if you need to allow cross-site scripting (plug: NoScript). Hmm...looks pretty good...thanks for the tip, Spiffy!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Site Admin

excellent...

although it would be nice if there was a link to the calendar somewhere on the main page...
Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Site Admin

speaking of the calendar again...

how do things get onto it? I see no way to add events... does JM have to put them on there?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Site Admin

Yeah, I think so. That "admin" button brings up a login page at dotcal.com, and I guess that's where the calendar accepts input. Hmm...the "update" button gets a page error...well, it does say it's in beta.