Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Site Admin

Cool Yet ANOTHer route question... Crossing NE Broadway??

Hey everyone,

Sorry to add to the flood of "route suggestion" questions here (maybe we could have a new section just for "route advice" *hinthint*)...

I've just started making the commute from North Portland to downtown. I'm not terribly thrilled about riding across the Broadway Bridge and up Broadway... I'd much prefer to head over the Steel Bridge or down the Esplanade (I work in south downtown near PSU).

So say you end up riding down Vancouver, and then down Broadway until almost the bridge (Interstate Ave)... It seems crazy to attempt a left-hand turn across Broadway. As a result, the last few times I've crossed at the crosswalk on Broadway and Interstate. This seems kind of cumbersome and awkward. Is there anyway to avoid this?

What is your preferred route to head from NoPo to the Esplanade or the Steel Bridge?

I've tried the route-finder, and it was okaaay, but I'm hoping someone has some advice from personal experience?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

What about cutting across to Interstate sooner and doing the whole ride down Interstate? Is that viable from where you commute?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Site Admin

Hmm... yeah, I imagine that would work. I just have to buck-up and ride on Interstate... I ride home that way... Maybe since I'm turning on Russell, I should just go straight down it then onto Albina...? I think that will kick me out on Interstate....?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Site Admin

OH yeah! And thanks for the new heading! Yay for a route-advice forum!
Old 09-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Site Admin

Default Straight shot

I like to continue down Vancouver, through to Rose Quarter TC. The portion between Broadway and Multnomah is easy. It's a wide street with nary a vehicle in the right lane.

You can cross on the upper deck of the Steel if you feel adventuresome (I never do) by turning right at Multnomah. But I always go straight through the Transit Center as long as there isn't an inspector around to bug me about it. From there I go straight to Oregon Street and Interstate Avenue, where the bridge/esplanade entrance is.

If I had to go around the TC, I might turn left on Multnomah, then right on NE 1st, riding the sidewalk from there to Oregon Street. Second option: After a right on Multnomah, cross Interstate as if to approach the upper deck, then do a 270 into the middle southbound lane of Interstate (or is there a bike lane there? I forget.). Tough one, but probably OK if auto traffic is light.