Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Site Admin

Default Looking for links to all trails

I'm new to biking and still finding my way around. Is there a very good source online to scope out all the trails and dedicated cycle roads through the Portland area? A google search seems to bring a lot of fractious information. In a city so completely obsessed with both cycling AND tech, you would think a greenhorn like myself wouldn't have to do a lot of looking.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Site Admin

Google maps, turn on the bicycle overlay.
Metro Bike There map
Bikely.com
Ridewithgps.com

And, no, that isn't the best road to the coast. Hints: hwy 6, or Little Nestucca Rd. Or to Astoria via hwy 202/Olney.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Site Admin

Y'know, a list of online maps for the region would be a good "sticky" thread in the Route Info section! Maybe stick this thread over there? <paging Forum Admin, Forum Admin to the courtesy phone...>

Anyway, Jeff posted several URLs for maps of the Pacific Northwest the other day. This one in particular covers Portland and surrounding counties, including Washington State and some routes to the coast that you also asked about:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...x.cfm?c=34809&

Vancouver has this trails map for Clark County, WA:

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-...ap%20FINAL.pdf
Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Site Admin

You can also search the forums; we've had this discussion many times, and there's lots of good information here.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Site Admin

I sure wish agencies would standardize descriptors to indicate paved/improved, but not paved/dirt. On the Vancouver map, Tarbell Trail is superfun mountain bike action with some good singletrack, whereas the Salmon Creek Trail is 6' wide and paved all the way.

Maybe something like this, although MUP might be too meaningless to the general public.

MUP = paved
Path = improved gravel/bark dust, etc
Trail = dirt.

Last edited by LESTER; 07-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
I sure wish agencies would standardize descriptors to indicate paved/improved, but not paved/dirt. On the Vancouver map, Tarbell Trail is superfun mountain bike action with some good singletrack, whereas the Salmon Creek Trail is 6' wide and paved all the way.
Wow, yeah, I hadn't noticed that! Huge difference in what those red "trail" symbols mean. All the trails in the Yacolt Burn State Forest are dirt, mostly not much improved and some quite technical. Maybe they could use dashed lines like the USGS symbol for trails.

BTW, anyone driving in, like to ride those trails or hike, needs a Washington State Discover Pass. They're $10/day or $30/year (good for 2 vehicles) and are required to drive or park a vehicle on all state lands, including state parks and forests. They are checking, although the ranger was nice to me back in March and just told me to go get one. (I did.)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Site Admin

we're so obsessed with cycling that we don't need dedicated places to do it... c(:

1) put bike on road...
2) start pedaling...

here's a link to Metro's Bike There map: http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=38177

I think it's the best newbie resource for finding a quiet place to bike...

the City of Portland also has some decent bike maps that are smaller and they'll mail them to you for FREE... then you can just carry the maps of the areas you want to bike in...

City of Portland bike maps: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/39402
Old 07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Site Admin

BTW: for an -excellent- westside resource... and FREE!

http://bikeportland.org/forum/showpo...62&postcount=2