Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Site Admin

Default r-r-r-ribit

This time of year y'know, when one frog sees another frog, a fundamental biological magic begins to transpire. Can't escape Cupid's bow, even if you're just a homely old froggy. Well it is very close to Valentines' Day!

Anybody riding past and into the Tualitan Hills Parks and Rec Nature park on Millikan Way in the late afternoon into the evening is likely to hear a rousing rock band chorus of amphibian croakers. The Westside Trail runs along the park's east border, and the frogs can be heard from there too. Biggest congregation seems to be some distance north of Millikan.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Site Admin

Was there last night for owl spotting. The frogs were deafening when next to the ponds. But yet, not a one could be seen with the spot light out.

Were you riding through the park?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryseth View Post
Was there last night for owl spotting. The frogs were deafening when next to the ponds. But yet, not a one could be seen with the spot light out.

Were you riding through the park?
Yes I was . In fact, just as I was leaving the park, I said hello to a party of nocturnal adventurers just walking into the park, seeking to spot some owls. So if you were one of them Seth...Hello!

I should mention that technically, the park closes at dusk. Signs at the entrances inform the public of this. I'm taking some liberties with the rules by being there after dark. This experience of occasionally being there in the evening, especially on clear, full moon nights like we've been having is kind of hard not to like. Over by the ponds on Oak Trail can be beautiful at night.

The park district actually does have some official, guided night tours through the park, indicating it also understands the varied natural appeal of the park after dark. In fact, 'Park after Dark' is I believe, the name of one of the guided night tours. Later this evening, I might search for the schedule and edit the link into this post.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Site Admin

Yes indeed, that was us. Hello back

Normally it is indeed closed. We were on a guided night time walk by the district. Been on walks there many times, first time at night. I can see how it would be appealing at night
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryseth View Post
Yes indeed, that was us. Hello back

Normally it is indeed closed. We were on a guided night time walk by the district. Been on walks there many times, first time at night. I can see how it would be appealing at night
Hey Seth... . I love hearing that the park district is thinking of ways to invite the public into the park after dark. You didn't mention an owl spotting. When I've traveled through the park at night, I've listened closely for sounds. Really...except for frogs this time of year...it probably requires a bit of waiting and sitting quietly to hear something.

Oddly enough, I think it was sometime during the day...some months back, along the Vine Maple Trail at about the .17/mile point that a big ol' owl was sitting up in a tree about 15' up. Really gets people's attention, I'll tell ya. Interpretative center staff confirms it hangs out around there from time to time.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Site Admin

Indeed we heard owls Quite a few of them. I did not see any but some of the group were looking the right direction and saw one fly above. It did involve some patience. I was a little tricky with the little kid who is lacking the patience.

It will give a different view when walking through there during the day. Will be looking up for hidden ones resting.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Site Admin

Frogs were still singing in the late afternoon, last week as I rode up to the park entrance. This being a month ago since I first posted, signs of spring change in the plant live are increasingly noticeable. Green leaves are just emerging from the small trees called Indian Plum...mostly all graceful bare branches with little tips of brilliant emerald and little white flowers. Those brilliant yellow pond lilly blooms are just ready to show too. They might even be called Toad Lillies. I

The park's two asphalt bikes allowed paths are just a third of a mile and maybe a half mile in length, 7mph speed limit, but they're good for a nice, slow roll through the park to allow your senses to take in some of all the different things there...the range of forms of plant and animal life, the fragrances...the sounds of the water in the creek.

The southernmost of the two asphalt trails, The Vine Maple Trail, runs kind of east west and falls maybe 500' short of 170th on the west, where a dirt trail makes the connection to the road. To my knowledge this one section of connecting dirt trail is the only exception to the park's exclusion of bikes from being ridden on the park's dirt paths. There are plenty of tire tracks on it too, showing that people are riding bikes through the park.

The dirt paths have signs at their start, indicating that riding isn't allowed on them. Actually, they just say 'no bikes' accompanied by one of those European crossed out symbols of a bike. Walking a bike on the dirt paths is allowed though, and it's worth it. It's all beautiful and quiet.