Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Site Admin

Snowing and sticking in E. Vancouver, too. I took a short spin around the 'hood and it was a blast! Cutting through the 2" or so of fresh snow was easy. The challenge were the few car tracks. They pack the snow into white ice and make those longitudinal ruts and ridges that catch bikers' balance. Great fun to try and stay in the car track as far as possible until...oops! It went around a 90 corner and out came my back end. Almost caught the slide but then the front washed and down I went. Zero damage to anything, speed ~8mph. Woohoo! Cool tracks! Have fun!

(BTW, good on JM for supporting anti-SOPA Blackout day on the homepage!)
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Site Admin

Interesting ride in this morning.

Lots of snowflakes, luckily none of them sticking.
Nice fellow commuters, giving me space when I need it to get around debris in the bike lane (reporting it to Tigard's wonderful street crews this morning).

And one clueless parent on auto pilot this morning around Twality Middle School, almost ran me over at the three-way stop. There was traffic at all stops, including me. The guy directly across from me went; the guy to my right went; then it was my turn, right?

Got almost halfway into the intersection when the next guy to my right decided it was his turn. He started going, then slammed on the brakes as I slammed on mine and started yelling at the top of my lungs.

It's not like I was invisible-- bright apple-green raincoat with my most annoying screaming yellow vest over it, lights all over the place... I am NOT inconspicuous.

He mimed "sorry" and I mimed "USE YOUR EYES", I could have been a kid and he would have killed me dead with his big gray truck. He went into the middle school driveway to drop off his kid, I went on my way with heart rate elevated.

Yup, it's true what they say: the most dangerous part of the road system appears to be around schools! Did not get his license plate, I was more focused on making eye contact and making sure he understood that he had to pay attention to ALL traffic.

But the rest of my ride in to work was great!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Site Admin

So I finally got a bike locker downtown. I commute into Hillsboro 2x/week, typically driving one day and taking the Max the other. Today I began my new multi-modal commute pattern: bike downtown, stow the bike and gear in the bike locker, then take the Max from Pioneer Courthouse Square to Hillsboro.

I was amazed with how empty the streets were during my 6:00-6:30am ride downtown. I encountered almost no cars and only 4 or 5 bikes.

Starting my day like this is awesome.

Scott
Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Site Admin

Took the Fanno Creek Trail from Tiedeman to Hall (with a short on-street section at Johnson past St Anthony's and down Main St where it picks up again at Max's). So quiet, peaceful, and beautiful. I love starting out my day like that, in a non-stress environment.

My ride home tonight will be the opposite-- I'm beginning to dread the Fonner Hill, and I always hope I can time the lights just right so there's no traffic coming up behind me.

But hey!! Sunshine and 70s!