Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Really? We still have this problem?!

As everybody knows, roadies like things slim... like their tires. So, here's a photo of my Victorinox (Ranger Model) Swiss Army Knife compared to a road bike's tires:

and here's the same knife in a grate located in the bike lane at the Upper Boones Ferry Rd/SW Durham Rd intersection...

end pt 1
Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry pt 2

or this gem of a grate located right next to Tualatin's City Hall/Library...

Quote:
810.150. Drain construction; compliance with bicycle safety requirements; guidelines.
(1) Street drains, sewer drains, storm drains and other similar openings in a roadbed over which traffic must pass that are in any portion of a public way, highway, road, street, footpath or bicycle trail that is available for use by bicycle traffic shall be designed and installed, including any modification of existing drains, with grates or covers so that bicycle traffic may pass over the drains safely and without obstruction or interference.
(2) The Department of Transportation shall adopt construction guidelines for the design of public ways in accordance with this section. Limitations on the applicability of the guidelines are established under ORS 801.030.
I don't think that these grates qualify as "Safe".

See Something? Say Something!!!!
K'Tesh
Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Site Admin

Another good reason not to fall for the marketing hype about narrow tires being faster. But in any case I would never ride over a storm grate -- even with my 40mm tires -- just too many things that could go terribly wrong.

Dave
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Site Admin

I occasionally make an exception to not riding over grates when it's one which I know is not a wheel-eater and when I'm going slow enough that I know I can handle whatever happens (and that means no cars around, too). I do it just to see what it feels like, so that I know what will happen if I hit one by mistake or am forced over one.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb But then there's the times you don't see it.

I'm certain that there are times that you won't see the storm drain due to conditions (night time or rain) or distractions (say a motorist trying to startle you). You can't guarantee that you won't go over a grate once in a while.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
I'm certain that there are times that you won't see the storm drain due to conditions (night time or rain) or distractions (say a motorist trying to startle you). You can't guarantee that you won't go over a grate once in a while.
That's spot on. Just a couple of weeks ago I was riding home up N Williams when I saw a bunch of broken glass in the bike lane. I had plenty of time before reaching it to merge into the left car lane and tried to do so, even motioning, but the car coming up wouldn't let me move over. Since there was another rider close enough behind me I had no choice but to ride through it. Sure enough I wound up with a flat.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Time to get an update...

Sent this email today:

Quote:
Time to get an update...

To my knowledge I never got a reply as to who was responsible for this grate...

Bike Lane at corner of Upper Boones Ferry Rd/SW Durham Rd

Thanks to Michael Magee of PBOT, I was turned onto the drawings of Oregon Design Standards, and while I cannot yet identify what kind of concrete inlet this is (it's not a G-2), the gaps permitted according to the RD364 drawing is only 3/8" if the grate was shoved to one side or the other. I might be smart enough not to ride over this gap, but someone else might not be.

So, my questions for this email...

Who does this grate belong to?

What type of concrete inlet is it?

If I was to go out there this morning, would I have found that something was done? I love it when photos are sent..

Oh, and for those of you who may not have gotten the message about the grates near the Tualatin Library. They were dealt with... Tualatin welded in a shim to help fill in the gap that I brought to their attention. (Thanks folks)

As always, Replies Grately Appreciated

Thanks,
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-02-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Got some replies on this today...

Got these:

Sheila Lyons, ODOT
Quote:
K'Tesh - don't be discouraged - you've done a LOT of good. Keep the e-mails coming and the sticky wickets will get attention. It's frustrating that these problems persist, but our maintenance units are stretched thin. You'll notice they respond when notified. Over time, they'll start looking out for these issues.
I don't know who this belongs to, but I'm certain someone on your list does.
Dick Schouten, Washington County Commissioner
Quote:
K'Tesh:

Let's find out if the County (has jurisdiction) can help here. FYI, I've copied several other key County employees and County Commissioner Rogers. He is the Commissioner for that area and deeply involved in all matters transportation.

Dick Schouten
Quote:
Thanks for your prompt response, Dave.
Dave Schamp, Washington County Maintenance
Commissioner,

Durham and Upper Boones Ferry Roads are not Washington County roads. Based on the limited information we have, depending on location, they belong to either ODOT or the cities of Durham, Tigard or Tualatin.
Basil Christopher, ODOT Bicycle & Pedestrian Coordinator
Quote:
We should also check with ODOT maintenance; I see Cory Hamilton with District 2B was copied on the email.
Cory Hamilton, ODOT Maintenance District 2B
Quote:
The grate belongs to ODOT and we will be putting a shim on the grate on the next available dry day. The grate did vary in width on the gap with one end at just under 3/4 of a inch to a 1/2 on the other end. I expect it to be repaired no later than Monday May 7, 2012.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-02-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Site Admin

Nice job! I will take a look for that grate the next time I ride down to and beyond the park down there.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Really! We no longer have *this* problem...

Well, they fixed it! (big smile)

Quote:
Was in the neighborhood today, so I decided to see how things looked...

Before... And After

Thanks Folks! That looks a lot safer. (Big Smile)

Rubberside down!
K'Tesh
hit the limit of images... had to go with (Big Smiles) instead