Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Site Admin

How much juice can a bottle generator put out?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Site Admin

6V, 3W for a Busch & Müller Dymotec Bottle Generator Model LT106 ($54.95). That's the same as a Shimano hub dynamo, and I suspect the Schmidt SON is about the same although I haven't found a spec for it.

PS - There is a 12V, 6W version of that bottle generator called the Dymotec S12. It's on Peter White's site for $315.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/dynamo.html has links to a variety of 6V and 12V dynamos of various quality and price.

Last edited by Alan; 12-07-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: PS
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
My randoneurring headlight is a Supernova E3, commute headlight is a B&M IQ Fly. Both very bright.
The Schmidt SON is gorgeous as well as amazingly well built. I especially like the polished one. Another nice feature is that it comes in either Center Lock (Shimano) or ISO (star flange) for disk brakes. Yes, I'm sure thieves would be attracted to it, too, so the Pitlocks seem like a good option. I haven't seen any local suppliers stocking it.

Pricewise, Peter White has a good close-out deal on the Model 28 in 24, 28 or 32 hole at around $200. The new 2012 model runs from $285 to $350 depending on finish, holes and disk brakes. Presently, my dream machine has disks penciled in, 36 hole.

For $99.00, Clever Cycle has a wheel deal with Alex XCE 500 double wall black rim with Shimano DH3D30 dynamo hub (silver), 6-bolt disc and rim-brake compatible, 36h, in 700c and 26" sizes. At that price it is tempting for just a plain ol' workhorse bike.

Thanks for the beta on lights!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Site Admin

I've got two dynohub wheels - one is a SON28, the other is a SONDelux, which is shiny, blingy, drag-free, drop-dead gorgeous. I freely admit these are not for everyone, but other dynohubs are totally suitable for urban commuting use.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Site Admin

Found this in the mail today:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...20000__1651031

Nice deal on a self contained bike light.

...not affiliated nor compensated; just bringing forth the news

Last edited by Simple Nature; 12-09-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Site Admin

The CygoLite Pace 200 USB LED Headlight is basically the same headlight in appearance, housing, switch, possibly same modes, I have, except I have the earlier 150 version (which I paid $80 on sale for a year ago.). It's worked out very well for my general road use on the flash mode, and riding through the nature park in total dark (I use 'low-steady' through there.). Dark, unlit neighborhood streets, I use high mode, which with the 150 has been adequate, but just that. The extra 50 lumens of the 200 would be nice to have in that type situation.

Only thing I didn't like about the light is that the rubber, rear USB cover likes to easily come unseated if it's bumped slightly. Takes a bit of annoying fiddling to get reset.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Site Admin

I compiled some data from MTBR on their 2012 bike light shootout.

I will let you make of it what you will. The sorting is by $/Lux. Lux is the total brightness in one area (spot mode) and the lumens are claimed. See the MTBR review for detailed information: http://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-bike-lights-shootout

Speadsheet with data:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fcEptdHc#gid=0
Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Site Admin

Great comparison, Simple Nature, thanks!

Anyone have experience with those Magicshine MJ808 or MJ872 models?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Site Admin

Magic Shine doesn't have the greatest reputation since they've had serious battery failures but for a basic wired 4-cell super-bright light, they are impressive by all accounts.

This is the USA distributor which you want to use if you want a "reliable" warrantee:
http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...dex&cPath=4_41
..also have a look at thier tail light.

Being a budget guy myself, however, I would save yet another $30 or so and go for the sub-$50 XM-L T6 DealExtreme clones. The idea is that I can always take one apart and fix it to my liking if I needed to. Battery packs is another story though. I have some favorite cells and you can't simply replace them. You have to either buy or make a new pack.

In either case, I would carry a backup if it is really important to have a lot of light.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Site Admin

Tailights: anyone been reading about the Red Zone 4?

A short thread over at bikeforums, and notice there about discussion over at candlepower forums about the light:

Nite-Flux Red Zone 4

candlepower forums on RZ 4

bikeforums thread on RZ 4

Said to differ from most tail lights on the market in that it offers a very wide angle of illumination. Bright and powerful, but brightness said to be dispersed some because of the wide angle. USB chargeable. $99, which makes it less attractive to me.

Common sense though, suggests manufacturers might have a strong market in developing a light that would give powerful illumination both directly back and to the sides, in one unit, instead of having to buy two lights to do that, as the bikeforums member has done, using this tail light and the Cygolite Hotshot.

Last edited by wsbob; 12-19-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Tags
battery, head light, led, light, tail light