Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Dangerous Conditions in SW Jefferson's Bike Lane

Sent this off to several agencies, the media, and lawyers...

Quote:
I've been bike commuting from PSU to Goose Hollow everyday lately, and I've observed something that makes me fear for my life on SW Jefferson St.

Between SW 14th And SW 16th Ave the bike lane has a serious "washboard" texture to the outer 1/3(ish) portion (this extends into the traffic lane as well). To avoid this uncomfortable ride, cyclists are forced to ride in the lane, or DANGER CLOSE to parked cars in front of KGW's studio at 1442 SW Jefferson St.

In these photos, you can see faint shadows created by the raised and recessed areas of the washboard.

My fear is that someday, if this isn't addressed, a cyclist will be bombing down that hill on their way to the Goose Hollow MAX stop, when someone unexpectedly exits their parked car. The cyclist then swerves to avoid the crash, or hits the door (and/or motorist), and ends up lying in the traffic lane with a car parked on top of them.

Can something be done to improve conditions here?
Anybody else familiar with this problem?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Site Admin

I used that bike lane once. Too fast, too close to cars, and way too washboarded.

I just take the left lane. Its more direct to the GH stop, and legal, as long as you consider that bike lane a hazard. On a one way road you may also use the leftmost side (then the speed, take the lane).
Old 11-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Did a little digging.... More thoughts on the washboard...

In looking at the photos I took of SW Jefferson...

I noticed the regular spacing between the highs and lows, and thought that it may be the same kind of problem we used to have on the SpringWashboard Corridor trail... paved over railway lines.

A quick google search later, and I found this:

SW Jefferson did have a street car or trolley on it in 1890. Any bets where those tracks were located?

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-11-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Time to update this...

Just after sending out my complaint about the washboarding on SW Jefferson St., I met another cyclist, and he showed me the way to get to the MUP that connects SW Montgomery St. to SW 18th Ave. Since then I've been taking that instead of riding down SW Jefferson to avoid the traffic, and the bumps. Nobody got back to me (via phone or email), I got busy with school, and the matter slipped my mind.

Tonight at Bikeasaurus's First Friday Art exhibit of Tomas Quinones work, I bumped into Patrick Kelly (of BikeLustComics.com) again, and he reminded me a conversation we had about the washboard. Then he told me that it's been ground down. News to me...

So, I went there to confirm, and sure enough it's been addressed.

You have to look carefully to see the grind marks, but the bumps are gone!

Thanks PBOT!!!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-05-2012 at 02:06 PM.