Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Self-sealing tubes opinions?

After getting a couple flats this summer I'm starting to ponder self-sealing tubes again (the ones filled with slime). I tried them last year but found that if I didn't ride for a while they would also seal the valve and I couldn't get air into the tires.

Any opinions or best practices on these things? Are they worth it? Is there a way to keep them from sealing the valve? This is on a road bike, by the way.

On the bright side, I've gotten a lot better at fixing flats and replacing tubes.

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 09-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Site Admin

you could always ride your bike more right?

I think if when you store your bike, you keep the valve at the top in the 12:00 position, the slime will pool up at the bottom far away from the valve and it might not block it.

Even if that doesnt work, changing the tube once at the beginning of the season isn't so bad.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Site Admin

So I'm assuming then that this stuff does not pool and eventually harden in one section of the tube if it is left alone for a few months.

Are you supposed to change it? Replace the tube regularly? How long is it effective?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Site Admin

Looks like it lasts two years:

http://www.slime.com/bike/index.php

The only complaints that i've heard are that it's heavy. I don't like changing my tubes so, I love slime!

Did a quick google search, and here's someone who has been using it 8 months nbo problems:
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-102758.html
Old 09-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
After getting a couple flats this summer I'm starting to ponder self-sealing tubes again (the ones filled with slime). I tried them last year but found that if I didn't ride for a while they would also seal the valve and I couldn't get air into the tires.

Any opinions or best practices on these things? Are they worth it? Is there a way to keep them from sealing the valve? This is on a road bike, by the way.

On the bright side, I've gotten a lot better at fixing flats and replacing tubes.

Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew,

I started out with some slime tubes but never had any luck with them (3 flats in 2 weeks on my commuting route). My tires would always end up going flat after any kind of puncture and getting inflated to the proper pressure. I went the route of getting some schwalbe tires at bike gallery. Since I have had them on my bike I haven't had a flat in a year, riding ~100 miles per week in all weather.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Site Admin

"How I learned to stop worrying and love the slime"!!!

Slime is great, but heavy. After getting three flats in one week I made the switch and love not having to worry on my commute.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks, everybody!

I got ANOTHER flat yesterday (broken glass) and replaced my tube with an ultralight version of the slime tubes (purchased at REI). It claims to be no heavier than other tubes.

Meanwhile, I may look into getting some more puncture-resistant tires, because this is getting old.

Thanks again!