Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Site Admin

Default Route from Willamette in West Linn to Durham?

Question: I'm trying to get my brother to ride to work as part of the bike commute challenge, but am having trouble finding safe routes from his place in the Willamette area of West Linn to our office in Durham. Any suggestions??

Generally, he lives over near Dollar and Blankenship, and our office is in Durham behind Bridgeport Village.

Thanks!!

Kristen
Old 09-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Site Admin

Hi Kristen,

The straightforward route is Borland Rd to Tualatin, S on 65th, W on Sagert, N on Martinazzi, N Boones Ferry. I have ridden this many times, but never at rush hour. Borland has narrow shoulders in many places and is probably busy during commute times, so probably not good for anyone not confident riding in those conditions.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of options. He could go N on Johnson Rd to Stafford Rd, N on Stafford to Childs (1/4 mile uphill with no shoulder), W on Childs to 65th (1st 1/4 mile windy with no shoulders, N on 65th to Boones Fy. This has a small climb and Stafford and Childs are probably both busy during rush hour times.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave
Old 09-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Site Admin

Thanks Dave!

Has anyone done the route as suggested (the "safer" option ) on tripplanner? I believe it goes up over Salamo and Hidden Springs and then down parallel hwy 43 on Old River Rd almost to LO. I think once he gets down on hwy 43, I can figure out a good route to get here, but am not sure about getting from Willamette down there SAFELY.

My brother hasn't done any commuting or riding on busy roads, so I don't want him to be unsafe. I'll probably try to do the first couple of rides with him just to get him used to it, teach him the "rules of the road" and all that jazz.

Thoughts?

Kristen
Old 09-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Site Admin

Hi Kristen,

I have ridden all of the route you mentioned EXCEPT the section from Willamette over the hill to Hwy 43/Old River Road, so I can't help there. Certainly given the 500-600 vertical feet of climbing on that route your brother should get a good workout! That way is also twice the mileage of the Borland road route; it sure would be nice to get some shoulders on Borland!

Dave
Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Site Admin

Default Wysteria

Kristen,

Another way to get up the hill and over to 43 is Johnson to Woodbine which becomes Wysteria. At the top of the hill directly across Rosemont is Hidden Springs which will take you all the way down to 43. Wysteria is far less traveled than Salamo which is why I prefer it. It is quite a hill though.

I have done the Johnson Rd to Stafford, to Childs and would not recommend it for a rush hour ride, it does work well on the weekends and off hours.

If you do go through Lake O there is a route around the lake which doesn't involve as many hills as the main routes. Take a left off of 43 onto Greenwood (at the Albertsons) which will take you to Northshore. Follow Northshore left, don't take the first right over the RR tracks, and at the end you will have no choice but to go over the RR tracks and that will put you on Iron Mountain Rd. Iron Mt. Rd becomes Upper Drive and that will lead you to Lower Boones Ferry.

Ride safe.

Pete
Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Site Admin

Default North Shore not Greenwood

Kristen,

On my way to work today I noticed that what I thought was Greenwood is actually North Shore.

Pete
Old 05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Site Admin

Thanks, Pete!

We'll definitely check it out; I've ridden Iron Mtn Rd before, but I forget how I stumbled upon it.

Kt