Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Council Crest ride report

Today I headed out Canyon Rd. (Hwy 8 ) to Canyon Dr. and ended up at Sylvan. From there I took a sidetrip along Humphrey Blvd. and found myself at Council Crest Park. WOW! What an amazing view! I felt unsteady just looking up at the radio tower. What a day to forget the camera.

It was hard to find an alternate route down from the top. Some friendly people helped me find the loop again and offered a fresh peach which was wonderful. I ended up doing most of the loop, but I finally found the route down the west side with some backtracking. After following some very primative steep roads down the hill (Chesepeak, Twombly), I ended up on Hwy 10 (Beaverton/Hillsdale). Good thing I had the Portland mini bike map with me. I'd never have ventured into these unknowns without it.

Humphrey Blvd, up at Sylvan, was a little narrow with some impatient drivers but there were quite a few bikes up there doing their runs. Once I got to Fairmount Blvd (the loop) it was a calm ride and nearly flat. I went into the park along a trail going straight up to the top. I've lived on the westside for nearly 30 years... this as the 1st time I made it up to Council Crest. What a sight!

Ride score: Highly Recommended!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Site Admin

Good times! That's close to being my favorite route. I really like the view into the Tualitan Valley at Raab Rd/Sylvan, near the church.

I definitely think that with the bent, Hewett would do you better. On the standard road bike, I prefer Hewett to Humphrey. More motor vehicle traffic seems to choose Humphrey. Hewett is just a little nicer all the way around...traces the south side of the ridge going up to CC, so you're out of the shade somewhat more than on Humphrey, which can be nice in winter.

Not intending to be argumentative, but Fairmount actually has some nice descents and climbs over the length of the loop, which is approx 3 miles. It serves a wide range of riders well. Roadie types can blast through the downhill curves (watch, watch, watch...for pedestrians), and muscle up the climbs at a quick pace. More casually paced riders can have a really nice, quiet, fragrant, so easy on the eyes workout ride on the loop too.

I dread any more of the ravines and street level land on Fairmount being developed. The road could eventually come to have the effect of a more continuous row of houses blocking much of the view of the woods or down into the lowlands. The Fairmount loop is one of Portland's invaluable recreational gems.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Site Admin

I did maybe 2/3rd of the loop and your right, I did go through a 100ft downhill elevation change in 2 miles.
The climb into the park was a puffer at 4%! I guess everything looks flat after getting to the top of Sylvan

This was my route:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46749184

Last edited by Simple Nature; 08-18-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Site Admin

I generally (ok, always) access the Fairmount Loop/Council Crest from the Sunset Highway MUP.
R onto SW Scholls Fy
fake L, cross the Hwy 26 on-ramp
cross Humphrey onto Hewett
Hewett to whatever that street is. Dosch?
L onto Dosch
R at 4 way stop, go up.

Coming back, the same way.

Used to do hill climb rides up from Bvtn Hillsdale all the way on Dosch.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I did maybe 2/3rd of the loop and your right, I did go through a 100ft downhill elevation change in 2 miles.
The climb into the park was a puffer at 4%! I guess everything looks flat after getting to the top of Sylvan

This was my route:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46749184
The loop is certainly a more relaxing ride than the climb from the Beav to Sylvan, but the Beav/Sylvan climb (except for the short stretch of Canyon Rd between Walker and Canyon Dr...hate that.) gives a nice feeling of accomplishment. Canyon Drive is so nice, the murder alley section of Canyon is worth enduring.

As lynnef notes, the Sunset Hwy MUP can get you there too. I use the MUP sometimes, but for me, the sound of the highway traffic and the formidable concrete wall detracts a lot from the appeal of the ride. Upside, is that the MUP crosses over a couple really swell, deep ravines that I always like to gaze down into and inhale the fragrant forest air.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Site Admin

Hewett connects to Patton. I will definitely check out that route next time.
Indeed, Humphrey is considered a difficult connection according to the Portland bike map and Hewett is recommended.

I use to do the Canyon Dr. route into Portland before the rebuild of the US26 interchange. I haven't been up that road in forever. I didn't have a destination; just a need to explore. Some of the standard routes are getting a bit stale.

I am now armed with all the local maps so I can step outside my comfort zone. I took the Washington Co. map and made a collection of 6 or 7 indvidual maps. Much more portable and it is layed out, front to back, well enough to preserve eveything from individual city maps to the full Co. map without loosing significant detail (N and W WashCo are less relevant). They all fold down to 3"x4-1/2" and fit neatly in a pouch. And the material they are printed on is indestructible. I also carry a small magnifying glass so I can actually read the map
Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Site Admin

Today I did the Hewett route and indeed, MUCH BETTER!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Site Admin

Yes, Hewett is good. Early spring, some kids had their lemonade stand going. Had a cup. They got it right...nice and cold...just about the right sweetness. Wish someone would do that more often.

Nice sculpture! I kind of forget it's there, since I rarely go up to Council Crest, but just stay on Fairmount. Being king of a nature nut, one of the reasons I don't go up there, is I find the lawn ugly. Much rather the parks planted it with some kind of natural materials. A different issue some of the people have, that keep their eyes on the park, is the height of the trees, some of which threaten to block the view of the skyline. So I was told by one of the residents on Fairmount.

Mostly unrelated: just finished going through craigslist. Stolen trike listing...someone in Ladd's Addition says they had a Sun X3 SX recumbent stolen out of their garage. Stolen adult recumbent trike - $1200 (SE Portland)

Last edited by wsbob; 08-23-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Site Admin

Not to hijack the thread, but since I'd posted a last remark to the previous comment about a disabled person's recumbent being stolen out of their garage, I couldn't resist posting the link to today's craiglist ad reporting a happy outcome:

"My trike has been found!! Thanks to a wonderful bike enthusiast who spied it, it was recovered and returned to me with help of PD city police. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all those who kept an eye out for me, who sent me kind emails, and to the bike shops that offered suggestions and posted my info. Portland bikers rock!!! Bless you all. A tip to others who have a bike stolen: report theft, keep getting the word out and post a phone/cell number that someone can immediately reach you at.
[Original Craig List posting read in part: "Please help. Stolen from my garage ......, eve of 8/22 or early a.m. of 8/23: new Sun X3 SX recumbent adult trike. Delta frame, 1wheel front/2 back, ........ Have proof of ownership. Also stolen with this tricycle: ....... black elbow braced crutch/cane, I am disabled ........... Thank you, Ann"] "

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/2579655621.html
Old 09-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Site Admin

That is excellent news, Bob!