Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned
Site Admin

Default City Bikes sweeps it up

The other night I was biking home on Ankeny and this jerk in a pickup truck came zooming by way too fast. He hit the speed bump hard and a big sheet of glass (or maybe it was a mirror) flew out of the back of his truck at me. Luckily I was enough to the side that it didn't hit me, but it did hit the ground and shatter all over the place. The driver just drove off, of course, but the City Bikes folks came out to find out what happened. They made sure I was OK, and then they swept up all the glass.

I was really impressed at how they just fixed the problem even though they didn't cause it, and I noticed the next day that they did a really good job sweeping up all the glass. So, thanks to them we didn't have a sea of glass outside their shop...even though it might have been good for business!
Old 01-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Site Admin

Good Story, Jessica. Glad you didn't get hurt..
I recently had a great experience with City Bikes as well. I finally gathered the money to buy the coveted Ortlieb Back Panniers. And I knew I wanted to support a local small bike shop vs more main stream shops like Bike Gallery (Who charge $20 more anyway for the same panniers). Not only did the nice guy working that day sell me my panniers, he took the time to tell me about them, prep them for my bike, and was just what I needed. I certainly didn't expect the extra care, they weren't busy which helped, but he certainly didn't have to go out his way.

Funny enough I told the same story that night to a couple friends, and they said they had a negative experience at City Bikes (awhile ago). Maybe it just depends who is working.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Site Admin

I have had really great experiences with City Bikes and I have had crap experiences.

My girlfriend and I went in to find some new handlebars and break levers. The guy told us the price for the labor (replace handlebars and run new break cable) and said if we did the work he would walk us through the whole process of running the break cables and all. We ended up paying about $20 for used handlebars, grips, break leavers, new break cables and pads. And we learned how to do the work in the process, so I bought the stuff for my bike and replaced all my cables. I devoted myself to shopping at their shop.

A few months later I had some work done and was really disappointed. I got my bike back and they didn't fix everything I had asked them to fix (although they didn't charge me for the work not done). One of the things I had asked was for them to tighten my back breaks (I can never find that balance of tight enough and not rubbing). About half way to work on the first day out I realized my back breaks barely worked! Being that I work at the top of Marquam Hill breaks are sort of an important feature to have on my bike. I took the bike back in that night and told the guy what happened and he acted like it was no big deal. He fixed them for free, but I don't think I will be having any work done there. I do continue to shop there but I don't feel comfortable getting work done.

While I am on the subject, one of the problems they said they could not fix was an issue with my rear derailleur jumping and just generally not working smoothly. It is a Campagnolo Chorus that is in good shape and it seems to me a good bike mechanic should be able to fix it. Anyone know any good mechanics??
Old 01-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
I have had really great experiences with City Bikes and I have had crap experiences.
Agreed -- some visits, I get pretty decent service, but it seems like half the time I'm ready to just put down whatever I was going to buy and walk out, because the staff haven't so much as acknowledged my presence in the shop. I realize they're a co-op, and don't have the same "retail mindset" that the more corporate shops do, but saying "hello" really doesn't seem like too much to ask.

I still try to shop there for the stuff that I really can get anywhere, (brake pads, bar tape, etc.) just to support a worker-owned business, but I couldn't see going to them for any major wrench work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
While I am on the subject, one of the problems they said they could not fix was an issue with my rear derailleur jumping and just generally not working smoothly. It is a Campagnolo Chorus that is in good shape and it seems to me a good bike mechanic should be able to fix it. Anyone know any good mechanics??
The folks at CityBikes generally don't seem to deal much with modern (read: STI/Ergopower, 9+ speed) drivetrains, so I think they often manage to shrug off minor adjustment issues that aren't as critical with older, more forgiving kit.

I'd recommend Sellwood cycles if you're looking for mechanics that grok Campy. I've taken them everything from old friction-only 6-speed derailleurs to my new full-Chorus setup, and they've never had a problem. They also seem to have one the best inventories in town for older parts, meaning you can often get an inexpensive, period-appropriate replacement for anything they can't repair.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Site Admin

Default City Bikes

I have been going to City Bikes for a very long time.
I have nothing but good feelings for this establsihment. They are great.
I willl admit that soimetimes it seems as they are tooo busy, or not helping you.
But I could only imagine going through a day of dealing with used bike parts, some of which barely work. Then dealing with insane used bike questions, probably often answered by "That won't work". Would drive me crazy...
I will continue to go to city bikes for as long as they are there.
Or for as long as they still let me in...
Old 01-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Site Admin

" I realize they're a co-op, and don't have the same "retail mindset" that the more corporate shops do, but saying "hello" really doesn't seem like too much to ask. "

I kind of like that.
I feel sort of pressured when people are constantly harassing me.. like if I go to River City or some shop like that, every 5 minutes "can i help you?"
If I need help, I'll ask.

I like city bikes a lot. everytime I've gone in there, I've recieved good service.

I also like bike and hike on grand, surprisingly. I picked up my clipless shoes and pedals there and one time was looking for a seatpost, and when they didn't have it, they directed me to city bikes.

However, I mostly only go to Citybikes and Belmont bike coop.