Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Site Admin

Default Another low for bike lanes...

I was cruising back from a night ride along SW170th Ave last night (Monday night) between Farmington and TV Hwy (Hwy10 & Hwy8 ) and lo! ...garbage cans all along the NB bike lanes. What the...! Who do we complain to about this?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Site Admin

I started with Beaverton's Recycling & Garbage page http://www.beavertonoregon.gov/index.aspx?nid=397
but this area is outside.

Washington County's Recycling & Garbage page is http://www.co.washington.or.us/HHS/SWR/

I like the Solid Waste Code Enforcement page http://www.co.washington.or.us/HHS/S...nforcement.cfm

From the page:
The Washington County Solid Waste and Recycling Program serves as an enforcement agent of Washington County Code Chapters

8.04 (Solid Waste Control)
8.08 (Solid Waste Disposal Sites)
8.20 (Nuisances), and (the section under which I think a complaint should be filed)
8.24 (Noise)
This may be overly bureaucratic but I suspect it will be easier to get the trash collector to enforce this than trying to get each individual home owner ticketed.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Site Admin

Thanks... I sent a note to the road service request. We'll see where it gets directed.

"I am not sure who to contact on this so I thought I'd start here. On a bike ride Monday evening, I noticed that garbage bins are consistently placed in the bicycle lane along the stretch of SW 170th Ave between TV Hwy and Farmington Rd. On Tuesday night, some of the bins were still present. On several occasions I was forced into the traffic lane. What is Washington County's policy for use of the bicycle lane for garbage bins?"
Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Site Admin

Yeah, its the "consistently" part that makes me think it was the garbage collector; either an axe to grind or just plain simple ignorance/obliviousness. Hanlon's law I say. Consistent is hard for a random group of people to manage even if they want to.

I expected K'Tesh to pop in with an answer showing I was wrong, `sall good
If he's busy I'm happy to pick up the research and info slack so he can go be a diplomat.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Sorry about that...

I was busy with LA Fitness, and another round of "talks" w/B'Ton's finest*.

Remember Kids... "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished..."
K'Tesh

*details later...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Site Admin

Keep us posted on any response you receive, or change in consistent location of the bins.

The dynamics of that arrangement, authorizing the garbage hauler to enforce garbage bin related ordinances, are intriguing. The residents are their customers. I suppose the county expects the garbage haulers to issue their customers citations for nuisances when the customer creates them.

So in responses they may or may not receive, what might simple nature or q`Tzal find out: Do the garbage haulers get paid per citation for issuing citations, or is it just a general obligation as part of their contract with the county, to issue citations? I'm trying to figure out what the incentive might be on the part of the hauler, because it seems to me, unless there was some very significant incentive to keep the bike lanes free of garbage bins put there by residents, or left there by the haulers themselves, they probably wouldn't want to have to bother with stuff like this. They'd just want to get the garbage hauled, go home and do...whatever.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Site Admin

I think the haulers are waste management. There is significant vegitation along the curb and I suspect this is the norm/expected behavior for customers along this section.

I did get a call from the Co. to confirm what I was seeing. They are digging into it.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Site Admin

I don't think I'm reaching too far when I say this is most likely the garbage collectors themselves not putting the cans back on the yard/lawn. Also, this is one of the myriads of reasons I stopped riding on Walker Rd between Cedar Hills and Murray; too many of those on Mondays
Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Site Admin

There is no yard so it is likely where WM tells the customers to put them. But this isn't right. This is a bike lane which must have a specified clear lane at all times (when convenient) and should not be allocated to other services on a regular basis. If this is the case, the bike lane should be extended in width to account for the intrusion.

I haven't heard anything more as yet but I certainly plan to follow up. When one is forced into the lane of traffic, it is serious problem. After all, I am 3' wide at the front wheels... not unlike "normal" bikes that are several feet wide at the handlebars and shoulders. Even if your tires remain in the bike lane, parts of you and the bike are in the traffic lane. Recumbent trikes are, after all, recognized in legal'eze as "bicycles". Only Trimet can ignore this fact with specific policy.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Site Admin

"... but I certainly plan to follow up. ..." Simple Nature

Definitely do that, It would help a lot though, if it were a number of people regularly using the road and having to deal with the problem, that were urging the county to correct it, rather than mostly just yourself...if that happens to be the case here. I think people not speaking up, or not objecting to obvious problems has a fair bit to do with why things just don't get corrected when they should.
K'Tesh's odyssey with the creekside bushes at Beaverton Creek on Hall Blvd, is one example. The high growing wild rose bushes should never have been planted there in the first place. Whoever was responsible for approving the planting design should never have signed off on the planting design (yes, it's obvious if you go there and look at it first hand, that this was landscaped and not volunteer growth.). Once plantings in situations similar to this one are there and growing up and out of control, road users, busy as they are, almost to every single one of them, just adjust to the poor situation, and seem to rarely, maybe never say a word about it to their city.

The arrangement of trees and their pruning, adjacent to the Milikan Way bike lane near Rose Biggi Ave is another example. Some people don't seem to think it's necessary on this street, to be able to see the pictograph sign that advises road users, main travel and bike lane users alike, that the bike lane ends at Rose Biggi east bound. That's fine, but the fact remains that for the street to function properly in the interest of safety for all road users, the sign really needs to be visible. Somebody sat down with a sketchbook and at a drafting table, laid out a design scheme for this street, made it look pretty, but failed to have that design achieve basic functionality for the people that actually have to travel the street. Again it would seem, contractors and supervisors signed off on the faulty design, wasting taxpayer money, and leaving road users to adapt and deal with messes like this, day after day.

I believe I rode the section of 170th you're referring to, several weeks ago. It's not a road I ride regularly, but I recognize that's a very important north-south connecting road, of which I've heard local politicians and city officials remark to the effect there is a notable lack of. As I'm struggling to recall most recently using this road, I'm thinking I may have seen bins on the bike lane.

Since I'm riding a conventional road bike, and traveling 20-25 mph, it wasn't any big problem for me to signal and swing out around them. That doesn't change the fact though, that keeping the bike lanes clear for general bike traffic is very important from both a functional and a perceptual perspective. People need bike lanes to be kept clear so they can be ridden in.

Also an important reason though, for keeping bike lanes clear of garbage bins, parked cars and whatever else...boats, trailers, etc. ...is sustaining the message that bike lanes are a viable part of the roadway for practical travel by bike. If bike lanes are casually allowed to be cluttered with a lot of junk, the public's perception may be resigned to the idea that bike lanes aren't really a part of the road that can be ridden on in a practical sense.
Kind of a funny thing occurred to me about the authority granted the waste hauler, to enforce ordinances prohibiting leaving garbage bins in the bike lane. This situation may be a bit comparable to practices police are given carte blanche to use, if they deem it necessary; biking on sidewalks where biking is generally prohibited...double parking vehicles on the street ...and so on. Does the garbage hauler view residents parking their garbage bins out on the bike lane as an offense that justifies a citation, while if the hauler itself, for some reason finds a need to leave the bins on the bike lane, this is o.k. ?

Last edited by wsbob; 08-13-2011 at 12:05 PM.