Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Site Admin

Default $250 ticket

I recently was stopped by a motorcycle cop for "failure to obey a traffic control device" (running a redlight). The ticket is $250. I admitted no wrong-doing. Does anyone have advice for contesting or at least just showing up for the court date? Will they cut the fine in half? I can't believe a ticket for a bicycle is the same as it is for a car. Please share your similar experiences.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Site Admin

if you ran the light you deserve the ticket. Bikers are getting a bad name because of antics like that.

A bicycle is a vehicle under OR state law, hence why the fine is the same.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Site Admin

Default Court Dates

If you show up for court but the officer who cited you doesn't, the judge often drops the charges. This happens every once in a while. If you show up and are found guilty, the judge has the flexibility to drop the fine amount somewhat, theough he/she usually checks your driving record before making that decision. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammon View Post
I recently was stopped by a motorcycle cop for "failure to obey a traffic control device" (running a redlight). The ticket is $250. I admitted no wrong-doing. Does anyone have advice for contesting or at least just showing up for the court date? Will they cut the fine in half? I can't believe a ticket for a bicycle is the same as it is for a car. Please share your similar experiences.
Why can't you believe it's the same ticket? A bicycle is a vehicle, just as a car is a vehicle. That's why you're allowed to ride on the road instead of the sidewalk. And just like other vehicles, a bicycle is subject to the traffic regulations. If a car ran a red light, the driver would be ticketed, and rightly so. You ran a red light, and the officer was right to ticket you.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Site Admin

Default $250 Ticket

This happened to me some years ago. I wrote a letter in which I stated my innocence. I got a response that my fine was cut in half and I paid it. I never had to go to court.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Site Admin

that's the problem with the law, WE ARE NOT CARS. i see people j-walking constantly and i never see a cop give any of them a ticket and they are walking (instead of running) a red light. the law's and fines on the books that are set up for us need to be re-written and actually need some input from us, not just the guys that sit around and write up new laws.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Site Admin

I disagree. Although we are not cars we are vehicles that can cause damage to property, people, and possible death to ourselves or others. Pedestrians cant move at 20+mph... Traffic lights and stop signs are designed and placed for a reason. Obviously a few here and there could use a little update in terms of possible removal or timing.

J-walking is a ticketable offence, but it doesnt pose the risk of iminante injury that running a stop sign or red light does. Its all about the lvl of danger. If its a high risk offence its going to be more likely to enforced.

Some times we all need to think outside of the box. Instead of thinking...I hate that god *&^# cop that gave me the ticket for running that red light. Who cares...i didnt kill anyone or sell drugs. Its all relative to our day to day life...without enforcement of rules it would be mass chaos day in and day out.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Site Admin

If a bicycle is a vehicle, will this ticket affect car insurance rates?

Also, aren't drivers in oregon required to insure their vehicles? Cause, I don't have bike insurance...
Old 09-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Site Admin

I'm with GelFreak. A law is no less a law because it inconveniences you. Obey the law, don't get fined. Simple.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixForLife View Post
........................... the law's and fines on the books that are set up for us need to be re-written and actually need some input from us, not just the guys that sit around and write up new laws.
Idaho has a law which allows bikes to treat a stop sign as a yield sign. I would like to see a similar law passed in the Oregon Legislature (the guys that sit around and write up new laws) and have informed my representatives of my wishes. Have you contacted your reps? After doing so, you can put that down as "input from us".

Bill