Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Site Admin

Smile Favorite Western Roads?

Mine are,

Scholls Ferry (Between BHH and Allen Rd) Even with cars, exceptionally nice terrain with few stops!

Mult Blvd (between Garden Home and 45th) nice stretch of road, nice up hill grade with new bike lane stripes.

Barrow Ln, "Mystery Road" (just after 135th on Scholls Ferry) wonderful road that has you bypass the "hill" on SF on your way to Roy Rogers Road. If you decide to take the hill on SF, following the hill this road pops up. Take it and it mysteriously places you near Fanno Creek. Hard to explain! It is as if a witch cast a spell to have you return to where you've been, yet you feel as if you were further from where you've been, till you look at a map and figure it out! There was a road where I grew up that was mysteriously like this in a different sort of way. When you went down it you felt as if you were going down hill and if you went up it you felt as if you were going down hill. You'd ask yourself which way is up afterwords! Dorothea Road LHH California.

Roy Rogers Road: feels like being on vacation with rolling hills and pastural views. This road is for those of us who live in a forrested area of Portland and miss looking out beyond 50 feet!

SW Terwiller, love the descent and equally love the ascent. Quality route to downtown. Marquam trail (hiking only) which branches off TW is a definite plus, hardly used by hikers, luscious forrest.

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-23-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Site Admin

It is really hard to call any one of 100's of roads as "favorites". Traveling the urban environs north of Hillsboro to Forest Grove provides ample relaxed riding opportunity. Only a few roads are to be avoided but for the most part, a weekend haven for avid cyclist.

Did 35 miles today pretty much flat and fast:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/42846120

Last edited by Simple Nature; 07-23-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Site Admin

Default Off the top of my head...

Mountain Road (between Stafford Rd. and the Canby Ferry) is hard to beat. Nice downhill rollers, beautiful vistas, and a boat ride at the end!

I also like Johnson Rd. between Stafford and upper West Linn.

Yesterday I rode on Johnson School Rd. south of Hillsboro as part of a 60 mile Cooper Mountain loop. It was a very-very nice newly paved (smmmooooth) low traffic country road. Highly recommended.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Mountain Road (between Stafford Rd. and the Canby Ferry) is hard to beat. Nice downhill rollers, beautiful vistas, and a boat ride at the end!
Glad to know some things are still free in this world. Canby ferry free to bikes and peds.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Site Admin

NW Old Cornelius Pass Rd, though you start and end on the new Cornelius Pass Rd, which is not so fun. You do get 2.5mi of downhill rollers.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Site Admin

Default Hills

I like all the hills on the westside, when I'm in shape.

My favorites are:

Weir road
The road that goes to matrix hill park - great view of Tigard/Beaverton.
Bald peak road
Ascension road on bull mountain

I also like fern street in Tigard, makes you feel like you're in the middle of the woods.
Tile flat road is another favorite.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourknees View Post
I like all the hills on the westside, when I'm in shape.

My favorites are:

Weir road
The road that goes to matrix hill park - great view of Tigard/Beaverton.
Bald peak road
Ascension road on bull mountain

I also like fern street in Tigard, makes you feel like you're in the middle of the woods.
Tile flat road is another favorite.
I guess Tile Flat is the one you like when you're not in shape?!? It's a great road. Would certainly qualify for my short list. Whether I'm in shape or not, I usually like at least 50% of the hills.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Site Admin

I guess I should rephrase. I like all the hills, I enjoy them more when I'm in shape.

Tile Flat is a favorite flat road.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Site Admin

I like the 50% that are down hills.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Site Admin

Default Things change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovestrobe View Post
Glad to know some things are still free in this world. Canby ferry free to bikes and peds.
I missed my chance to ride it free, aww shucks!
http://bikeportland.org/2011/08/05/n...-ferries-57351