Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Site Admin

Default Brookings to Eugene?

Hey all.

I'm planning to ride down the coast in August, and on the return trip, I want to hop across the mountains into the valley and back up home (Beaverton) with a stop in Eugene. I'd like to backtrack up the coast as little as possible.

So how about these main highways:

1. Bandon to Roseburg via HWY 42?

2. Reedsport to Cottag Grove via HWY 38?

3. Florence to Eugene via HWY 126?

Are any of these viable? My Oregon bike map shows option 2, HWY 38 with the least traffic. I'd prefer the southern most route, option 1. At this point, my criteria is just getting back to the valley/I-5 corridor in one piece. Even if it's not the most scenic route. And I'd like (need?) to split the trip into two days, so a campground along the way would be handy.

Thanks!

-Cota
Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Site Admin

Default route options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cota View Post
Hey all.

I'm planning to ride down the coast in August, and on the return trip, I want to hop across the mountains into the valley and back up home (Beaverton) with a stop in Eugene. I'd like to backtrack up the coast as little as possible.

So how about these main highways:

1. Bandon to Roseburg via HWY 42?

2. Reedsport to Cottag Grove via HWY 38?

3. Florence to Eugene via HWY 126?

-Cota
Cota, here's my limited knowledge:

1) Hwy 42 - ridden only the eastern part of it toward I-5, was very nice. There is a paved back route through the coast range north of this (via Sitkum i think) but it's really steep, as i dimly recall.

2) Hwy 38 - good road, nice ride - really like the road that goes north from here toward Eugene, via Lorane - and the Lorane Country Store is a landmark stop. Also: one of the best rides around is along the Smith River Rd. (parallels 38 to the north) - quiet, decent pavement, and quiet. Did i mention quiet? Nothing in the way of services along here, or people. There's a pretty nice campground (Vincent Creek) along here, may be others to.

3) Hwy 126 - seems busy, having driven it, but never ridden it so really no idea.

have fun!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Site Admin

Thanks Jeff.

Some folks on the bikeforums suggested the Smith River route also, and I decided to try that one.

I'm curious though about the Vincent Creek campground you mentioned. Do you know about where it is? Or about how many miles from the 101 it is? I'm going to split that ride up into two days, so I'd like nice spot to camp at somewhere along there, half way-ish if possible.

-Cota
Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Site Admin

Default where is it?

it's a BLM campground - a pretty nice spot, on the river, about 30 miles from 101 in Reedsport, with minimal climbing. From here to Eugene is 50 miles, with 2 good (1000' over 5+ miles) climbs.

here4's the BLM info:

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...y=&activity=38