Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Site Admin

Default Winter Rain Tires

So, I currently use an armadilo rear tire due to weekly flats. Well its stopped the flats, BUT it gets HORRIBLE traction in the rain. Any corner I take on any type of pavement I can feel my back end slide out or at least slip. As well, I cant pedal when approaching the white lines on the road. I almost flew over my bars one morning when I lost traction because I was pedaling uphill and ran over one of those, stop here, white lines.

My question is can anyone recommend a new rear tire for me? I need something that is puncture resistant due to having to commute through the NE industrial area. Otherwise I get all kinds of items stabbed into my tires reguraly. Yet I think its going to be really important this winter to have good traction with all the rain.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Site Admin

In wet weather, traffic paint, metal hole covers, and bridge joints are going to be slick. Period. No tires will eliminate that completely, but you knew that. However, plain ol' wet pavement should present little problem for decent tires.

I use Conti UltraGatorSkins with a wire bead. According to a dude at the Bike Gallery, the kevlar beaded Conti GatorSkins have more siliconized rubber in their compound, making them "stickier" and raising the price about $15 more. Color me cheap. Not as flat resistant as Armadillos (what is?), but I've ridden them for the last three years and they've treated me great.

You can also put those flat-resistant strips between your tire and your tube (but be careful of the pinch flat when you inflate them the first time, and realize it does nothing to protect your sidewall).

Also during the winter, I check my tire for small slivers of embedded glass more often than normal, and dig them out before they burrow in too deep. Again, you probably do the same.

On a negative note, I just lost a pair of the supposedly bombproof Rubinos during the Portland Century to massive glass cuts. It could be that I'm just unlucky, but that was pretty lame to lose $85 worth of tires in one day, especially in dry weather. However, I will say that the Rubinos rolled pretty sweet on both wet and dry pavement.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Site Admin

I have had good luck with Continental Sport Contact tires. they are very puncture resistant and provide good traction in the rain. They come in 700x32 and 37 and in 26x1.3 and 1.6. You can get them at River City or online.

Bill
Old 09-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Site Admin

I like my Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase, 700X32. They do quite well on pavement. Over wet manhole covers, not so much.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Site Admin

Couple o' silly questions:

1: wider tires = less punctures? Is that fairly definitive? And for extra credit: Why or why not?

2: how wide until you can't get 'em past dual pivot (roadie) brakes? Did I read BillD's comment right? 37? Seriously? Will those pontoons actually let you ride across the Willamette?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoenborn View Post

1: wider tires = less punctures? Is that fairly definitive? And for extra credit: Why or why not?
I wouldn't think wider tires would fare any better, and in fact could collect more debris resulting in more flats. Often the front tire kicks up hazards from the roadway just in time for the rear tire to receive them, hence (it's been stated) the reason it always seems to be the rear you have to repair on the side of the road.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoenborn View Post

2: how wide until you can't get 'em past dual pivot (roadie) brakes? Did I read BillD's comment right? 37? Seriously? Will those pontoons actually let you ride across the Willamette?
I don't know for sure whether wider tires will yield fewer flats. I use wider tires because they absorb more shock due to lower pressure and give me a smoother ride. Here is the aforementioned 700x32 Conti with a Tektro 521AG long reach (47-57mm), dual pivot brake.... plenty of clearance.

and here is the same bike, tire and brake with Planet Bike fenders.... the fender moves a bit when the front brake is applied but there is no binding.

I don't know for sure if these tires will clear short reach brakes. You would have to try it. I do know that 28mm Conti Gatorskins will clear 39-49mm reach brakes... but just barely.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Site Admin

Nice ride!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Site Admin

Quite happy with Vittoria Randonneur tires. Reflective sidewalls, too.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Site Admin

vittoria rubino in the back
the vittorias are amazing, i've never been happier. they are lasting a long time as well (skidding and such).

verdestein ricorso in the front
what can i say about itialian racing tires......HOLY CRAP, GO GET YOURSELF SOME OF THESE!

and they both hold up under wet street