Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Site Admin

Angry Pedestrians on Fanno Creek Path...

I dread to tell you all about my close calls with pedestrians on this thoroughfair. Yesterday I called out "On your left" to two joggers who ignored my request to pass, until I yelled out "Bicycle, allow me to pass please! in a loud tone. Today, not much better, I came upon two runners who were running side by side, again I mentioned "On your left" several times before bumping into the bottom of the left hand runner's shoe. I was going at a runners pace. I really didn't feel good about the startling of her. Why she could have fallen, scraped a knee and sewed me! Yet, I do note that she pulled out her ipod plugs from both her ears to hear me. Anyway, I think I may avoid using this trail for a while.

My wife, who is a proud pedestrian advocate, stated that I should just yell out and wait behind pedestrians the whole way even, if it requires that. By gosh. I will stick to the shark infested roads from now on!

What do you think?

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-05-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of Fanno in the title
Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Site Admin

It's your responsibility to pass safely.
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound.../dp/B000ACAMJC
Old 07-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Site Admin

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiney View Post
It's your responsibility to pass safely.
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound.../dp/B000ACAMJC
too funny! Yeah that! Captain, your pedestrian went into heart attack/ epileptic seizure mode lolololol!!!

Check the demo of this device on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYkBHGurj-I

This thing is wicked!

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-05-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Site Admin

Although the airzounds is quite effective it is bulky.
This one is quite a bit louder and easy to carry...
http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety-...836682&sr=1-15

Scares off dogs too!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Site Admin

Joking aside...a good sense of humor is often needed...I really hate to think that people might actually consider using one of those air horns to alert people in places the Fanno Creek trail passes through.

So I'll just assume that idea was made jokingly. Still, sometimes there's a need, other than simply calling out, of ways to alert other trail users being approached by someone generally traveling at a faster rate of speed; to request that these trail users move to the right to allow other people to pass. Those little handlebar bells should be loud enough to do the job. Anything louder gets to be disruptive to the natural surroundings of Fanno Creek.

Dovestrobe's account of jogger's response to his calling out his presence on the Fanno Creek trail, has me wondering a bit, why the people being hailed aren't yielding passage. Is it failure to hear due to headphones or yakking that's delaying them from yielding? I don't like thinking that they may hearing him and refusing to yield while jogging two abreast, taking up enough of the trail width to make safe passage of them by someone on a bike, difficult or impossible.

Last edited by wsbob; 07-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Site Admin

Sounds like you need to get out more, Bob

It is absolutely astounding how little attention people pay to others on the trail. I do a lot of "tracking" on my trike... I see wonderers, iPlod'rs, the "gang of 3 (abreast)", the "my dog has a right to 20' of leash" peeps ("...and it won't bite!" rots & pits), and even the "my kid rides his/her bike very well" crowd where the child is clueless and all over the trail.

Indeed an "on your left" or a tinkle of the handlebar bell -should- be enough but even with people just yacking away have found a way to simply ignore the basic means of gaining attention that us old timers are quite aware of at all times. Although I don't carry one, I use to have the boat horns for the river (required on boats). I'll tell you, if all else fails, a quick blast of that baby will definitely increase the adrenaline level of anyone in another zone.

I never count on the trails to go anywhere near commute speed. As a matter of fact, a 7 mph limit is highly recommended by the parks departments. The question is, what -is- the polite way to announce yourself and what -is- the acceptable ways to elevate that "notification"? My bell is ineffective probably 20% of the time.

A lot of serious recumbent riders have AirZounds on their 'bents and they are -not- afraid to use them. Generally these are only for waking up drivers but if you're good with the trigger, there are occasions when a short burst is warranted on the trails.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Site Admin

Default too cool for a bell

Dovestrobe,
Follow your own advice and take your chances with the sharks. Those joggers have your number. Before the end of the summer they're going to jump you and toss your bike over the fence.

To pass other users on the multi-use path:
Hang back 30 feet and ring your bell. The particular sound of a bicycle bell makes people think of children, British nannies and ice cream. They will turn and smile at you. Smile back. Slowly approach and pass saying, "Thank you".

If you're too cool for a bell, you can yell and use other noisemakers, but you still have to expect that you'll need to slow down.

Listen to your wife.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Site Admin

I'd suggest buying a bell. I used to do the "On your left" shout out for years, but it only really served to startle people. I amazed at the increase in compliance when I use my bell. In fact, I can't think of the last time I had an issue on the waterfront.

Lately, it seems my biggest problem is people walking in the bike lanes on Naito.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Site Admin

for folks with the music turned up loud, they won't hear a bell or even an increasingly louder "on your left".

Riding through THPRD one morning, I encountered one such oblivious person. When I FINALLY got her attention, some guy over by a soccer field yelled at ME for being rude.

The joy of a multi-use path.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 2 View Post
I'd suggest buying a bell. I used to do the "On your left" shout out for years, but it only really served to startle people. I amazed at the increase in compliance when I use my bell. In fact, I can't think of the last time I had an issue on the waterfront.

Lately, it seems my biggest problem is people walking in the bike lanes on Naito.
Naito's lanes? I didn't know that that was a bike lane, I thought that that was multi use. Sure doesn't look like this...

Course this is taken in Copenhagen, Denmark. Dream on!

Tags
fanno creek, portland oregon.