Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs down The Dump Zone on BH

If you've ever had the displeasure of riding Beaverton Hillsdale, ascending from Oleson to Capital, you'll note that this bike path has a serious hazard.
A giant vortex that takes up the bike lane prior to an adjoining street. I am tempted to bring along white spray paint or a paint roller to demarcate (widen) the lane to accommodate a bike rather than just a road hazard.

So, today I was making my way up BH and I look back before attempting to traverse this scary part of the ride and to my horror, traffic! So, of course I go for it and come within inches of an induced accelerating BBV (big black Vehicle). Dumb move on my part! Next time, I may have to get off my steed and walk that part of the bike path! Seriously, I can imagine hitting this spot on a thin wheeled road bike in the dark. Pure deadlum.
Maybe in the future I'll take along some gravel to fill this darn hazard! Can I sue portland for having such a hazard in the bike lane if I end up on my ass? Similar to suing a business? They are corporate aren't they?

Course there are other hazards on this stretch of BH road: the perpendicular adjoining street with accompanying bushes that hide our presence from an eager vehicle attempting to merge from a very steep street. There aught to be mirror! So we could anticipate the danger! I'm positive some cyclist has met their doom on this stretch of roadway.
Finally, the awkward green lane that traverses the exit point for Bertha perpendicularly. Perpendicular for who? Not for cyclists, but for pedestrians!!! And an accompanying sign which most motorists ignore, to yield to cyclists. I would literally get run down if I attempted to merge onto this green strip without warning! So, lately I do a quick check for no cars and merge early continuing onto BH, avoiding the green path all together!

Please, don't get me wrong. I much prefer riding this part of Beaverton Hillsdale rather than the dead zone, the stretch of highway that extends from SW Oleson road into Beaverton!

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 06-27-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Site Admin

I haven't ridden that section of Beav/Hillsdale for a long while, but I am familiar with the road. It's big, wide and fast for motor vehicles, but generally not too bad for traveling by bike. There are difficult problems with the road though, such as the green box at the Bertha intersection you described (how that could be easily improved...I don't know...used to be worse.).

First of all, try to clarify what you're describing by:
"... A giant vortex that takes up the bike lane prior to an adjoining street. ..."
Is this a pavement depression? A main road to side street design obstacle? Tell us more clearly.

Second, road users messin' with issues they identify on the road as problems, isn't probably a particularly good way to go about drawing attention to, and a remedy to the problem. If you've got a bit of time and energy, take your pocket digital camera along with you, cell phone digital camera, etc (if you've got one or the other.), document the problem, and send the pics along with your written description of the problem to the road department that has jurisdiction over this part of the road.

You've got to find who has jurisdiction, and I'm not sure who that might be, but it sounds likely to be Multnomah County. Send that stuff off, then wait a couple weeks...see if they respond. If not, proceed to 'step 2'. Other people reading might have some ideas about what form 'step 2' might best take.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Site Admin

Sorry not to clarify the looks of this vortex. A depression in the asphalt resembling a clay mold of mount hood.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Missed the vortex.... But...

Forwarded this to ODOT, and b1+ch3d about the vegetation that forced me out of the bike lane when I was riding down from PDX the other day. I didn't have my camera, I was headed to the camera shop to pickup a copy of the estimate on fixing it from the 2011/5/4 crash.

I also had a problem crossing it at Bertha (which has it's own problems [black hole type catch basins]). I get up to the crosswalk, and a red pickup failed to yield the ROW to me at the crosswalk (I had the signal). The only reason I wasn't hit, was because I was looking.

IMHO, B/H is a deathtrap just waiting for it's victim.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-28-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Site Admin

100_1125.jpg
This is the location of vortex hole on B/H at SW 50th. The drop off is like a water fall, hardly visible till you're on top of it!
100_1126.jpg
Notice that it is quite a deep spot. For anyone going at a speed of 10 or 12 miles an hour, you're sure to get one heck of a bumpy ride, even end up possibly falling before the cross road!

Ride safe!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Site Admin

Dovestrobe...thanks for taking and posting those pictures. That storm grate grade is set far too low below surrounding roadway grade, and just like you said, not nearly visible enough to people approaching it on a bike in the bike lane.

I hope you'll proceed to find what department of transportation is responsible for fixing this, and get them started on the process of doing it. My experience, is that government and bureacracy can be really slow to fix even something as bad as this. I'll soon be loading up 'after' pics of the storm grate on Hall Blvd in Beaverton showing its raised level relative to the surrounding roadway for safer, improved bike travel. The Beaverton storm grate setting was bad, but not as seriously bad as this one on Beav/Hillsdale.

Last edited by wsbob; 06-28-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Site Admin

Exclamation

Yes and since who knows how long the fix will take, I'd say go ahead and spray paint the hazard to warn riders about it. Day glo!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Site Admin

Dovestrobe, the first picture of your last post makes the hazard very clear to me.

Spray paint the cr** out of that area with neon paint to prevent anyone from busting their face. Then do what wsbob said.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Unhappy ODoT's reply...

Quote:
The location is city of Portland responsibility.
I've asked that this be forwarded to PBoT.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Site Admin

Thanks everyone for your contribution to this thread. Haven't gotten to Lowes yet to pick up the day glow but it WILL happen!

Ride defensively, stay safe!