Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Women for Bikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Site Admin

Default Where to find attractive women's bike clothing

Hi. First off I am not a woman, however I am married to a woman and I am looking for a Christmas present. She has started joining me on bike rides and her dilemma is that while she likes stretchy black leggings for biking she wants a skirt for when we arrive at our destination. So she wants a stretchy skirt that goes well with stretchy black (and somewhat shiny) black spandex legging.... Where would one looking for such a thing even start?

If y'all could help a brother out, I would be grateful.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Site Admin

Team Estrogen!

(they are local, but mail order only. Wonderful return policy, should it come to that)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Site Admin

Thanks. The prices aren't bad (for cycling gear anyway). i wonder how much that little black skirt costs per yard of fabric... I probably shouldn't ask.

I really like having my wife (and our baby) join us, but when we go out I notice she eaither a) wears jeans and is uncomfortable for the ride or b) wears stretchy pants and is uncomfortable when we get to our destination. I totally get her dilemma- I don't hand out in skin-tight bottoms either but I am otherwise pretty unconcerned with the way I look- she is a little more particular about the way she looks than that so my rain pants idea wasn't working for her.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Site Admin

hmmm... . I can't help but laugh a bit quietly to myself when I see guys wearing those utili-kilt affairs, even though they may be comfortable, practical. Nice pleats.

Girls wearing skirts is something I do appreciate. Yesterday, looking for backpacking gear, I ran across a site link for 'hiking skirts'. Didn't click on it, but no problem having them show up in a search.

Link to a site with some of them. Not sure about the colors, but the style of the 'All Terrain Skirt' looked good to me. On sale too: http://www.athleta.com/products/skirts-on-sale.jsp
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Site Admin

TE maybe or may not have them, but the concept of a "cycling dress" over tights calls more than a skirt. Athleta has a bunch of dresses that would work that way. Also check out Terry - there are that sort of thing in their catalog.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Site Admin

and you are correct - do not ask how much the fabric cost. Or for that matter the entire fabric and construction. If one is handy with a sewing machine, a pretty basic one can be whipped up in very little time.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Site Admin

A simple calculation pricing out the cost of material, pattern, cutting it out, sewing it up clues one in really fast about what a deal a ready made skirt for $50 is. $20 is cheap. Thank you, overseas labor!

Though something someone makes for you personally, may well be a labor of love. Wearing something like that is a nice feeling.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Site Admin

She can simply carry some shorts, skirt, or sundress along for the destination. A medium-sized saddlebag (Carradice etc) would carry that easily.