Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Unhappy Hit today...

Typing rt hnded, L may be Broke.

Rt hook on 99W in Tigard... Was coming dwnhll, in bk lane, when a lexus Suv pulld out and i struck frnt quarter pnl.

Bike may b toast
Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Site Admin

D*mn! Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing that they stopped or you would have made the Title "...and run." Hope their insurance company is OK to deal with. Keep us posted. Do you need any help?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Sure...

anybody want to write my 5pg paper due tmrrow?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Site Admin

I talked to K'Tesh by phone and have a few more bits of info to pass along. First off, he sounds in pretty good spirits, all things considered. The vicodin from the emergency room visit is taking the edge off the pain, but he is counting his blessings that things aren't worse. The ER docs saw some fluid accumulation in his left hand/wrist but aren't sure if it's broken. He'll get further evaluation from another doc tomorrow or when the swelling goes down a bit. He also scraped his right elbow and knee, and it sounds like he has general aches and pains one would expect from wrestling with an SUV and body surfing on blacktop.

The accident happened on 99W near Freddy's, "about 72nd" (excuse me if I've got that detail wrong; not my part of town). Classic right hook...K'Tesh hauling down the bike lane, Lexus SUV passed him, signaled and turned right at the same time, and *pow* - collided with the front left fender. The guy stopped right away and was very apologetic. It's a company car with full insurance, so that part isn't a worry.

K'Tesh has (bad!) experience from a past brush about getting prompt medical treatment, so he knew to call for emergency assistance. The cops showed up in minutes and this time he got the ambulance ride. They took his bike into custody, too, until he can reclaim it.

The Lexus ended up pretty much parked on Ludwig (the bike). The forks, front wheel and bars are definitely toast; unknown at this time if the frame is salvageable.

Before and after being Hit by Car by KTesh.

Photos of the damage were taken at the crash site.

This obviously puts a crimp into K'Tesh' plans which included, as he mentioned, a paper for school as well as other school and community commitments. Fortunately it sounds like he has a good support network with several family members in the area, but coming up on the end of the term is not the time for this sort of unplanned time off.

Heal well, fellow rider!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-07-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added img of damaged bike
Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb slight correction...

Thanks for writing for me Alan,

The car was nearly stopped by traffic, then signaled a turn (Taco Bell run?), I was passing lots of stopped cars... I didn't stand a chance when he turned.

Down Arrow shows where I landed. Conditions were daylight (about 5:45pm-6pm) Clear, dry pavement. Helmet on.

Link to Google Map

Driver did stop, wasn't nasty nor negative, I'm certain he's an upstanding citizen (car was his bosses too), so no name calling please.

Be Safe Out There... They are not looking for you.
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-05-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Site Admin

This is kind of miserable luck, though it's fortunate that the guy stopped. Can't think of much else to say except, 'Get Well'. Not being able to write out class assignments because of bum hands resulting from the employee's negligent driving, is a problem. Wonder if the the guy's company insurance would provide you with a spare secretary? !!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
The car was nearly stopped by traffic, then signaled a turn (Taco Bell run?), I was passing lots of cars... I didn't stand a chance when he turned.
[...]
Link to Google Map

Be Safe Out There... They are not looking for you.
K'Tesh
Aha, yeah, I wasn't clear on the backed-up traffic or the exact location. That is a tough one to watch out for, when they just suddenly spring from a (near) stop to cut across in front of you. Also, by flipping over to Google Earth I can see that nice downhill glide. Thanx for the update but do take care of that hand!!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Aha, yeah, I wasn't clear on the backed-up traffic or the exact location. That is a tough one to watch out for, when they just suddenly spring from a (near) stop to cut across in front of you. Also, by flipping over to Google Earth I can see that nice downhill glide. Thanx for the update but do take care of that hand!!
Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Driver did stop, wasn't nasty nor negative, I'm certain he's an upstanding citizen (car was his bosses too), so no name calling please.
It's one of those "there but for the grace of God go I" situations, for me; really for most any driver, I hope. We can rant all we want (and deserve to) about how drivers really must assume more responsibility for operating dangerous equipment and devote full-time attention to all the hazards that such operation entails--all true!--but when it comes down to actually being attentive every last moment for every possible contingency, that's hard. We're humans, we have many demands and distractions on our faculties, we aren't perfect and we're operating in a complex world. The reason I say "...for most any driver" is that vicariously experiencing a bit of fear or concern based on that driver's mistake can help each of us be that little bit more careful each time to avoid collisions. (Note to self: keep checking those mirrors!)

BTW, for those of you cruising by from YehudaMoon, I'm not the same Alan that posts over there, in case it wasn't obvious.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Site Admin

I hope your recovery is quick and painless. Take care.