Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Site Admin

Default *Grumble*

So I'm almost to work this morning (driving- sorry, folks, late night) on Fremont near where it crosses Williams. I come up behind someone riding a cruiser-type bike a little unsteadily, so I wait a bit so I can leave extra room (Fremont is narrow anyway). As I pass I see it's a young woman, riding one-handed, chatting away on her cell phone.

Sigh...

I suppose I'm an antisocial old fart, but couldn't the phone call wait until you got somewhere and stopped? Please?

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Site Admin

I share your grumbles. Same thing happened to me on N Vancouver. I was at the stop light on my bike behind another cyclist who was texting. When the light turned green he pushed forward and almost swerved into me as I was passing him, because he was trying to text and ride.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Site Admin

Default Guilty... kinda...

Well ok I was riding on a neighborhood street - no auto traffic, great visibility and I went hands free to change my Pandora station. I wasn't weaving or out of touch - [I'm a solid rider - but I STILL got a dirty look from a passing cyclist.

Oh now, don't get on me for the earbud... I started wearing it in case I did recieve a call while riding. I'm going through some stuff and need to be available... well yeah... then I discovered music which I've never done while riding or running or whatever - I hate wires and sht.

But since I had this thing in my ear anyway... well yeah... it makes the rainy days a little more tolerable. Like I said. I got some personal reasons to soothe my soul with communication and music.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Site Admin

There is something about Jazz that takes away the sting of the rain as it hits your cheeks.

I know its unsafe and illegal (Vancouver, WA), but I do it anyways.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Site Admin

Do we really need to be that connected all the time?

I ride with my cell phone, it goes in a zip-loc bag in my jersey pocket, set to vibrate since it's hard to hear over traffic noise.

When I get a call I can either pull over and answer it, or let it go to voice mail.

I don't see any reason to ride and talk on the phone at the same time.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
I don't see any reason to ride and talk on the phone at the same time.
Ride with me sometime. You'll see why. I do pull over, but sometimes I like to keep rolling because my children are waiting... or Coach can't be late to practice EVER - not even by 2 minutes. Work schedules, kids, demands, etc.