Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Site Admin

Default Columbia Way/Wintler Park in Vancouver

I have always enjoyed riding into Vancouver on the I-5 bridge, and then taking Columbia Way to Riverside to Evergreen. Lately, though, they've put in this horrible massive housing development and cut off access from Columbia to Riverside. I literally can't find any way to get through short of riding on Hwy 14, or climbing a fence and scaling a wooded hillside, which is what I just did... Beach Drive used to connect to Columbia Way, but it doesn't seem to go through anymore (they built large gates specifically to block access to their development). Is there any way around this stuff? Basically wanting to get from I-5 to I-205 bridges on the WA side, and I always liked the scenic bits along Evergreen.

Last edited by ong; 04-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Site Admin

One of my favorite routes is the I-5 bridge / I-205 bridge loop. During the new condo construction near Wintler park things were a mess; I actually got chased by a security guard when I rode through there a couple of winters ago. Since they finished the condos though it is quite nice through there.

The MUP that starts off Columbia Way at the park (@ Marine Park Way, but there are several access points east of there along Columbia Way) goes out to the river then follows the riverfront east all the way to Wintler Park. There is a new part of that path that goes behind the 3 new condo buildings and directly into Wintler Park without ever getting on Beach Drive (the path is seen here on the Google satellite view - http://goo.gl/maps/pWnt).

From Wintler Park going east I used to backtrack along Beach Dr up the hill to Riverside Drive, then one day I saw a guy going into Wintler Park on a bike as I was going back out Beach Dr, then I caught up to him later up on Riverside Dr. I asked him how he got ahead of me and he told me about a shortcut through the east end of Wintler Park. If you follow the path east past the restrooms in Wintler Park there is a dirt path to the left just as the paved path starts to loop down toward the river. Follow that about 100' to a short stairway and you emerge at the bottom of Chelsea Ave just below the RR crossing. Ride directly up Chelsea Ave, across Riverside Dr, and on up to Evergreen Hwy.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
If you follow the path east past the restrooms in Wintler Park there is a dirt path to the left just as the paved path starts to loop down toward the river. Follow that about 100' to a short stairway and you emerge at the bottom of Chelsea Ave just below the RR crossing. Ride directly up Chelsea Ave, across Riverside Dr, and on up to Evergreen Hwy.

Hope that helps.

Oooh, neat! I'll need to try it from the other direction to see what kind of access is available.

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Old 04-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ong View Post
I have always enjoyed riding into Vancouver on the I-5 bridge, and then taking Columbia Way to Riverside to Evergreen. Lately, though, they've put in this horrible massive housing development and cut off access from Columbia to Riverside. I literally can't find any way to get through short of riding on Hwy 14, or climbing a fence and scaling a wooded hillside, which is what I just did... Beach Drive used to connect to Columbia Way, but it doesn't seem to go through anymore (they built large gates specifically to block access to their development). Is there any way around this stuff? Basically wanting to get from I-5 to I-205 bridges on the WA side, and I always liked the scenic bits along Evergreen.
I haven't tried that in a long time. I'll have to look again (see my other post). From the I-5 bridge, I'd ride a little ways east, then across the Land Bridge, then east on 5th past the Pearson Air Museum. Continue on 5th, cross Grand Bl. (nasty intersection), cross Blandford (another poor intersection, but less traffic), and climb up to Evergreen where you can cross over SR-14 on Shorewood or you can continue on the north side of 14 to Middle Way (which is my preference).

Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Site Admin

I personally would just take SR 14 up to Ellsworth Road, but this isn't for most people.

Instead, I would recommend taking the unpaved shortcut that DaveT mentioned. You reasonably have to dismount, but the distance saved over Beach Drive is worth it. The hill can be a bit steep to get started out on, but it's entirely doable. Here's the location on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/I5UQ
Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Site Admin

This is pretty much my back yard.

I do prefer to take the highland routes these days when I'm heading east to 205. Ex: Macarthur/Middle Way/Residential streets just south of Macarthur.

When I am taking the lowland route, the shortcut on the east side of Wintler Park is the way to go. Be careful, it can be slippery.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
From Wintler Park going east I used to backtrack along Beach Dr up the hill to Riverside Drive, then one day I saw a guy going into Wintler Park on a bike as I was going back out Beach Dr, then I caught up to him later up on Riverside Dr. I asked him how he got ahead of me and he told me about a shortcut through the east end of Wintler Park. If you follow the path east past the restrooms in Wintler Park there is a dirt path to the left just as the paved path starts to loop down toward the river. Follow that about 100' to a short stairway and you emerge at the bottom of Chelsea Ave just below the RR crossing. Ride directly up Chelsea Ave, across Riverside Dr, and on up to Evergreen Hwy.
Hope that helps.
Huh, cool! I'll try that out. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
This is pretty much my back yard.

I do prefer to take the highland routes these days when I'm heading east to 205. Ex: Macarthur/Middle Way/Residential streets just south of Macarthur.

When I am taking the lowland route, the shortcut on the east side of Wintler Park is the way to go. Be careful, it can be slippery.
Aye, man- the highland route is the "McRoute": McLoughlin, MacArthur, and McGillivray. Plenty of people will be riding that in a couple weeks on the Ride Around Clark County: http://www.vbc-usa.com/racc .

Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Site Admin

Just a note to say I tried the little dirt shortcut at the end of the park the other day, and it works like a champ! I was worried the new construction might have blocked it, but it's a very pleasant way to connect up that ride. Thanks again!