Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 PM
ong ong is offline
Junior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 20
Default Columbia Way/Wintler Park in Vancouver

I have always enjoyed riding into Vancouver on the I-5 bridge, and then taking Columbia Way to Riverside to Evergreen. Lately, though, they've put in this horrible massive housing development and cut off access from Columbia to Riverside. I literally can't find any way to get through short of riding on Hwy 14, or climbing a fence and scaling a wooded hillside, which is what I just did... Beach Drive used to connect to Columbia Way, but it doesn't seem to go through anymore (they built large gates specifically to block access to their development). Is there any way around this stuff? Basically wanting to get from I-5 to I-205 bridges on the WA side, and I always liked the scenic bits along Evergreen.

Last edited by ong; 04-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM
DaveT DaveT is offline
Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 98
Default

One of my favorite routes is the I-5 bridge / I-205 bridge loop. During the new condo construction near Wintler park things were a mess; I actually got chased by a security guard when I rode through there a couple of winters ago. Since they finished the condos though it is quite nice through there.

The MUP that starts off Columbia Way at the park (@ Marine Park Way, but there are several access points east of there along Columbia Way) goes out to the river then follows the riverfront east all the way to Wintler Park. There is a new part of that path that goes behind the 3 new condo buildings and directly into Wintler Park without ever getting on Beach Drive (the path is seen here on the Google satellite view - http://goo.gl/maps/pWnt).

From Wintler Park going east I used to backtrack along Beach Dr up the hill to Riverside Drive, then one day I saw a guy going into Wintler Park on a bike as I was going back out Beach Dr, then I caught up to him later up on Riverside Dr. I asked him how he got ahead of me and he told me about a shortcut through the east end of Wintler Park. If you follow the path east past the restrooms in Wintler Park there is a dirt path to the left just as the paved path starts to loop down toward the river. Follow that about 100' to a short stairway and you emerge at the bottom of Chelsea Ave just below the RR crossing. Ride directly up Chelsea Ave, across Riverside Dr, and on up to Evergreen Hwy.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Jeff Wills's Avatar
Jeff Wills Jeff Wills is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
If you follow the path east past the restrooms in Wintler Park there is a dirt path to the left just as the paved path starts to loop down toward the river. Follow that about 100' to a short stairway and you emerge at the bottom of Chelsea Ave just below the RR crossing. Ride directly up Chelsea Ave, across Riverside Dr, and on up to Evergreen Hwy.

Hope that helps.

Oooh, neat! I'll need to try it from the other direction to see what kind of access is available.
__________________
______________
Jeff Wills
Too many bikes, not enough time.

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Jeff Wills's Avatar
Jeff Wills Jeff Wills is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ong View Post
I have always enjoyed riding into Vancouver on the I-5 bridge, and then taking Columbia Way to Riverside to Evergreen. Lately, though, they've put in this horrible massive housing development and cut off access from Columbia to Riverside. I literally can't find any way to get through short of riding on Hwy 14, or climbing a fence and scaling a wooded hillside, which is what I just did... Beach Drive used to connect to Columbia Way, but it doesn't seem to go through anymore (they built large gates specifically to block access to their development). Is there any way around this stuff? Basically wanting to get from I-5 to I-205 bridges on the WA side, and I always liked the scenic bits along Evergreen.
I haven't tried that in a long time. I'll have to look again (see my other post). From the I-5 bridge, I'd ride a little ways east, then across the Land Bridge, then east on 5th past the Pearson Air Museum. Continue on 5th, cross Grand Bl. (nasty intersection), cross Blandford (another poor intersection, but less traffic), and climb up to Evergreen where you can cross over SR-14 on Shorewood or you can continue on the north side of 14 to Middle Way (which is my preference).
__________________
______________
Jeff Wills
Too many bikes, not enough time.

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
jr98664's Avatar
jr98664 jr98664 is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 363
Default

I personally would just take SR 14 up to Ellsworth Road, but this isn't for most people.

Instead, I would recommend taking the unpaved shortcut that DaveT mentioned. You reasonably have to dismount, but the distance saved over Beach Drive is worth it. The hill can be a bit steep to get started out on, but it's entirely doable. Here's the location on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/I5UQ
__________________
Gas Tax Holiday? I must be on gas tax retirement.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 PM
dmc's Avatar
dmc dmc is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 183
Default

This is pretty much my back yard.

I do prefer to take the highland routes these days when I'm heading east to 205. Ex: Macarthur/Middle Way/Residential streets just south of Macarthur.

When I am taking the lowland route, the shortcut on the east side of Wintler Park is the way to go. Be careful, it can be slippery.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
ong ong is offline
Junior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
From Wintler Park going east I used to backtrack along Beach Dr up the hill to Riverside Drive, then one day I saw a guy going into Wintler Park on a bike as I was going back out Beach Dr, then I caught up to him later up on Riverside Dr. I asked him how he got ahead of me and he told me about a shortcut through the east end of Wintler Park. If you follow the path east past the restrooms in Wintler Park there is a dirt path to the left just as the paved path starts to loop down toward the river. Follow that about 100' to a short stairway and you emerge at the bottom of Chelsea Ave just below the RR crossing. Ride directly up Chelsea Ave, across Riverside Dr, and on up to Evergreen Hwy.
Hope that helps.
Huh, cool! I'll try that out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Jeff Wills's Avatar
Jeff Wills Jeff Wills is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
This is pretty much my back yard.

I do prefer to take the highland routes these days when I'm heading east to 205. Ex: Macarthur/Middle Way/Residential streets just south of Macarthur.

When I am taking the lowland route, the shortcut on the east side of Wintler Park is the way to go. Be careful, it can be slippery.
Aye, man- the highland route is the "McRoute": McLoughlin, MacArthur, and McGillivray. Plenty of people will be riding that in a couple weeks on the Ride Around Clark County: http://www.vbc-usa.com/racc .
__________________
______________
Jeff Wills
Too many bikes, not enough time.

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 PM
ong ong is offline
Junior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 20
Default

Just a note to say I tried the little dirt shortcut at the end of the park the other day, and it works like a champ! I was worried the new construction might have blocked it, but it's a very pleasant way to connect up that ride. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:26 PM.




A production of Pedaltown Media Inc. / BikePortland.org
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.