Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Site Admin

Default REI Keen Sandals

I was at the Hillsboro REI today and noticed their still sale priced womens Keen cycling sandals at $54 which is a great deal.

I was cornered by a sales guy and asked why the Men's were $115 and he said the womens were old stock... and asked what my size was. I am 11.5 on a good day and 12 on a bad. Today must have been bad because he walked out with a men's 11.5 (euro 45) at $54. Wouldn't you know I need a 12 (46) beause there crowded my toes just a bit.

Anyway, any of you guys that need a size 11.5 (45) pair of Keen sandals for a great price of $54, get over to REI in Hillsboro (Cornell Rd) and ask for Brian. He'll know what you're looking for. ...and of course, women still have this special available too on more sizes.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Site Admin

Default Deal of the Century

A degreaser from dollar tree (yes, only a dollar) 40 fluid ounces! Had the urge this morning to overhaul my front wheel hub. I used this stuff and wow, things got super clean! Course you want to use rubber gloves or wash your hands really well immediately following, the stuff can be caustic to your skin.
100_1157.jpg

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-18-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Site Admin

Be very careful with caustic cleaners on bike parts.

Many are anodized or clear coated and these products can harm both.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Be very careful with caustic cleaners on bike parts.

Many are anodized or clear coated and these products can harm both.
Caution noted. But for inner hubs and chains (the dark parts), I doubt that being the case.

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-18-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
Dovestrobe, maybe you did a search, found and browsed this thread, but just in case, here's a link to a bikeforums member review of the GMC Denali road bike: bikeforums member review of GMC Denali road bike
Apparently, somebody has come to feel that GMC Denali's are appreciating in value. Today on Craigslist Portland: 21 speed GMC denali road bike - $225 (Fairview, OR)

Ad Text:

21 speed GMC denali road bike - $225 (Fairview, OR)
Date: 2011-07-21, 9:01PM PDT
Reply to: sale-bk9tn-2486247706@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Selling in a really good condition, 21 speed GMC 28 700C DENALI road bike, aluminum frame, aluminum pedals. Light weight. Very good, comfortable seat. Just had professional tune up done and new shemano cassete installed.

This bike is for tall riders. A very beautiful blue color.

Call (503)901-1799 or email.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Site Admin

Just purchased a 1972 Schwinn Super Sport.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/2549201896.html

I'm so happy right now. Just have to wait a couple more weeks before I can ride it.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Site Admin

The CL post has been deleted by its author but here's what that model looks like:

That's from the 1972 Schwinn catalogue
Designed with the adult cyclist in mind-the rider who wants outstanding performance and a better bike with precision engineered components. Test ride the Schwinn Super Sport with hand brazed chrome molybdenum alloy steel lightweight frame. Choice of 10-speeds in a wide range derailleur gear, 33 to 100 ration; wide range 5-cog cluster, Schwinn-Approved 27 x 1 1/4 high performance sports touring tires, Schwinn Twin-Stick gear controls located at the handle-bar stem, Dual position handbrake levers and quick release hubs.

Choice of colors: Kool Lemon, Opaque Green, and Opaque Blue.
Sounds like a nice ride, fun and classy, and I'm glad to hear you're on the mend, dmc!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
Just purchased a 1972 Schwinn Super Sport.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/2549201896.html

I'm so happy right now. Just have to wait a couple more weeks before I can ride it.
Would you believe ...I once had a 70 or 71 model Super Sport. Root Beer Brown. The year it came with chrome forks. Had it quite a few years. Definitely better steel in the frame than a Varsity or Continental, but the components were low end. The wheels were alloy, but otherwise, just lousy...wouldn't stay true. Didn't know it at the time, but the spokes probably weren't sized right. The builders had just taken a grinder and ground the ends off where they extended past the bottom of the nipples. Ugly and messy.

None of that matters though. Glam your eyes on those frame joints...smooth, like Cannondale. The frame is a kind of beautiful, basic bike that you'll be able to make fly like the wind!

If you're curious, do a search over at bikeforums 'classic and vintage' category, and you'll find people that love the SS, and have upgraded and modernized them to be very nice performing rides.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Site Admin

Default miracles

The bike I purchased today was manufactured in April, 1972 in the Schwinn Chicago Warehouse. The frame was done by hand. Truly the frame joints are something to be seen. It is so smooth like anything I have ever seen in a bicycle. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

The gentleman I bought it from had owned it for 18 years. He was less concerned with money and more so with the SS having a good home. I had offered this gentleman more money than he asked, but refused and just asked for the price he listed.

Now I just got to wait 3 more weeks for my collar bone to heal before I can ride it!!! Plenty of time to love the smooth frame joints.

Last edited by dmc; 08-20-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Site Admin

dmc ...looks very good! Appears to still be quite original, including the Brooks B15 saddle. The saddle is one of the parts I kept from my SS...changed it out for an Avocet. I never much liked the brooks, but some people love them. Can't beat them for a classic vintage look though.

If you could get a nice, straight on side view of the drive side of the bike and post it with your other pics, that could be interesting to look at. I've learned from over at bikeforums that this is a useful view the members look for. Close-ups of derailleurs, crankset and other parts are interesting too.

I have to admit wrenching isn't something I look forward to doing. So my rides are kind of slow to get the attention they deserve. Something I've also learned at bikeforums though, is that especially with a vintage bike like this that may not have been serviced in a long while, something the really knowledgeable members highly recommend, is to thoroughly go through the bike from top to bottom. Over a period of years, the grease can dry up, get gummed up, and cease being able to do its job.
The one piece crank...I've always thought that was kind of lame. It's heavy, and to me, doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of better quality three piece allow cranks. If you ever decide you're interested, there's adapters that allow a three piece alloy crank to be installed on the SS. I've learned rather recently at bikeforums though, that some people have come to better understand the three piece, and have quite a bit of respect for it. Actually has a name...Ashtabula...from the city in Ohio where the idea for the crank design is said to have been conceived. Some members at bikeforums say the Ashtabula's in vintage Schwinn bikes are very well made, indestructible, and the bearings set up very nice. So if you're fine with a little extra weight, it should work out well enough.
So...bottom bracket, headset, then hubs ...and so on. Hope and pray your stem and seat post come right out and haven't been locked in place by corrosion. If they have, there's ways to get them out, with care, patience and determination. But maybe you know all this stuff. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by wsbob; 08-20-2011 at 08:59 AM.