Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Site Admin

Default Idaho Stop considered by Utah Legislature

I just learned by way of a thread over at bikeforums, that the Utah House of Reps passed a bill (H.B. 155 ) that would make Idaho Stops for bikes legal in that state. Now scheduled for the Senate to take a look at.

Information about this bill is paltry, but I found a couple brief news articles. Farmers Insurance and AAA aren't keen on the bill. The few proponents quoted in the articles cite arguments familiar to bikeportland readers, as to why such a law should be created in Utah; they claim the law would encourage cyclists to choose neighborhood streets rather than thoroughfares...that it would address the problem of light sensors that fail to recognize a cyclist's presence (not clear on whether this bill would also allow cyclists to roll stop lights in such a situation.) ...also, the claim that such a law would be safer for cyclists in that not having to completely stop would mean they wouldn't have to unclip, put their foot to the ground.... . Wonder what thoughts the Utah Senate will have on this bill.
Update for 2/28/11...bikeportland's Monday Roundup compiler, Elly Blue run across an additional Utah News article on the Utah Legilature's consideration of whether to introduce the Idaho Stop in its state. Though still written 2/22/11 before the bill passed the house vote, this article has some different, and some slightly more lengthy quotes from house reps as to why they favor or oppose a law this bill proposes.

This article also clarifies that the bill doesn't include a provision that cyclists may roll stop lights after initially stopping, noting that this option was originally a part of this bill when introduced to Utah's 2010 Legislature, where it failed to be approved.
Bill to let cyclists treat stop signs as yields advances Eric Peterson, Salt Lake City Weekly.net

Deseret News Utah Legislature: Cyclists could run stop signs if bill becomes law
Published: Friday, Feb. 26, 2010 12:00 a.m. MST

Salt Lake Tribune Bill would let cyclists yield at stop signs
First published Feb 22 2011 11:57AM
Updated Feb 22, 2011 07:54PM

Here's a link to the Utah Legislature website page for the bill. Utah State Legislature H.B. 155

Note that on that page a link is provided allowing people with a hi-speed connection to listen to 'Audio Recordings of Debates'.

Last edited by wsbob; 02-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Site Admin

Yesterday, Utah's bill for the Idaho Stop got its first reading in the Utah Senate. Readers clicking on the link for the Utah Legislature in my first post, can keep track of what's happening with the bill.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Site Admin

Just checked to see how and what Utah's doing with its Idaho Stop bill. Not knowing enough about how the process works, I think it's just currently been going through House and Senate committees before it hits the Legislature floor for a vote. Here's some of the more recent entries from the bills' 'Bill Status/Votes' page:
"... 3/1/2011 Senate Comm - Amendment Recommendation SSTWED
3/1/2011 Senate Comm - Favorable Recommendation SSTWED 4 2 0
3/2/2011 Senate/ comm rpt/ amended SSTWED
3/2/2011 Senate/ placed on 2nd Reading Calendar S2ND ..."
Can't seem to get around to a computer with a high speed connection, but I'd be interested in knowing what thoughts are being offered in the debates.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Site Admin

wsbob, i don't have anything to add about the utah legislature.

i do have this; last night at maybe a little after 1 a.m. i was pulled over at tillamook and williams for not stopping fully at the stop sign during my right turn. the cops were nice and said even well lit as i was and being out on 1 a.m. ghost town streets, it's dangerous out. thanks?

i was being followed by them down tillamook. i didn't know they were cops but i had a feeling, i saw them north of me on mlk when i crossed mlk. but even if i had been positive it was a cop car i honestly wouldn't have done a thing different. i turned right onto a one way williams and into a bike lane. and i was creeping at that point. far from recklessly blowing stop signs.

that's all. sorry if this is a pointless story.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Site Admin

rainperimeter...I don't think you're story is pointless. It bears some relation to the entire idea of where and when a stop that's less than a full and complete stop may be acceptable. By your description, your response in regards to the stop sign was probably reasonably safe. And the cops were probably right too, about seemingly empty streets never the less being potentially dangerous. At 1am in the morning, for many reasons, people on the street often can be in less then fully alert condition.

But let's for a moment look at the circumstances of the police stop in which your were involved: late at night...tillamook and williams. Did you just get a warning and not a citation? Did they run your I.D. to check for a possible record or outstanding warrants? Hope you didn't get a citation.

It's not exactly a wonderful thing, but the simple fact is, if the cops see someone on the street they think they need or want to check out, observing a simple traffic violation committed is an easy pretext. I expect that's what happened to you. Sounds like it went about in a friendly way, though being stopped by the cops late at night, or anytime, isn't something most people look forward to.

I hope you'll check in on some of the stories about Utah in the process of considering the Idaho Stop. I'm thinking it won't be long before the bill goes to the Legislature floor to be discussed and voted on. That could be really interesting.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Site Admin

Latest updates on Utah's consideration of the Idaho Stop for its state:

"... 3/3/2011 Senate/ uncircled S2ND
3/3/2011 Senate/ failed SSEC 11 11 7
3/3/2011 Senate/ to House HCLERK ..."

Not exactly sure whether this means the bill is out for good. If someone else understands better, certainly offer any insight you can.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Site Admin

Utah's bill for the Idaho Stop seems to have met a dead end, although I'm looking for news stories that will give more insight on its status.

News stories on the issue, found today:
KSL.com/Senate: Cyclists can't roll through stop signs
March 3rd, 2011 @ 2:26pm
By Amanda Verzello
Excerpt from the above story:

"...The bill's sponsor, Senate Majority Whip Wayne Niederhauser, R-Sandy, said allowing cyclists to stay in motion when approaching a stop sign would increase safety, especially for those who use shoes that clip onto the bike's pedals.

"It's actually more dangerous to clip out of those pedals, stop, and clip back in," he said. ..." KSL.com
The extent to which the above comment about clipless pedals is true, has much to do with the particular clipless pedals in use, and whether they're set up and working as they should be. Is Whip Niederhauser aware of this? Is the general public aware of this? Are even many cyclists aware of whether their clipless pedals are working adequately to enable cycling in traffic conditions that involve stops?

I use the standard Shimano SPD 520 clipless design. I've found that clipping in and out of them is effortless and easy, smooth and fast. On that basis, I'd disagree with Whip Niederhauser's remark.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Site Admin

I think a "Bike Yield, Right Turn" sign under stop signs would go a long way to commuting encouragement. This could apply at a lot of "T" intersections where the bike lane goes straight as well.

The senator was, of course refering the to the Artie Johnson manouver. I see this happen at nearly all events, at least once. Then the wabble getting moving again... not paying attention to the road, but rather getting their feet back in the pedals. Do most cycling commuters actually use clips? I don't!

Things could well be improved for commuting cyclists but rolling stops is not one of them. I've had way to many close calls with cyclist ignoring stop signs. I am for som thoughtful yields, however. Too many places I have to stop when it simply doesn't make sense to.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post

But let's for a moment look at the circumstances of the police stop in which your were involved: late at night...tillamook and williams. Did you just get a warning and not a citation? Did they run your I.D. to check for a possible record or outstanding warrants? Hope you didn't get a citation.
wait, what is the big deal about the time of day and where i was biking important? i have always worked swing/late shifts. nothing shady about that. and tillamook and williams are both residential streets (williams is odd, but it's not exactly a business corridor or something similar). i received no citation. my license was not run by the cops.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainperimeter View Post
wait, what is the big deal about the time of day and where i was biking important? i have always worked swing/late shifts. nothing shady about that. and tillamook and williams are both residential streets (williams is odd, but it's not exactly a business corridor or something similar). i received no citation. my license was not run by the cops.
rainperimeter...nothing shady about your being out on the street was intended to be implied. What I was attempting to describe had more to do with how police do their patrols. If they see someone...anyone...on the street they're wondering about for any reason...simple infractions are an easy way for them to stop people and find out what they're doing. I've been stopped late at night. I hate it, but I understand what they're doing, and why, which always has helped me get through the situations. Still...it's annoying to say the least. The last time, I was in my car. I've got my car interior lights so I can look for my license and proof of insurance. Despite this, the cop has to shine his maglight...right in my eyes....virtually blinding me...making the process of finding what he needed that much more difficult. I ask him if the flashlight has to be right in my face, and he says "That's for my protection". What was my infraction? Brake light out.

Last edited by wsbob; 03-13-2011 at 11:37 PM.