Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Well, FWIW, I'd like to try it when I get a chance, but I also think it's only fair to point out that riders should be confident in their abilities and aware of those conditions. I'll also mention that Hwy 14, as the only east-west route south of Hwy 12 (White Pass), gets quite a bit of commercial truck traffic, even semis with doubles, from truckers who don't have Oregon permits to use I-84.

N. Bonne has gas station food and there has been a cafe there, but it may have closed or reduced its hours in the past year, I'm not sure.

Stevenson, 3.0 miles up Hwy 14 from BotG, has very good food at Big River Grill or El Rio (right across Hwy 14 from each other, same owner), as well as full grocery and hardware stores. For an additional 0.2 miles, I'd take Rock Creek Drive instead of Hwy 14 for the stretch just west of Stevenson. Or go up to Skamania Lodge for the luxury set; its pub has good food, not as formal as the main dining room.

If you want still more miles, there are some nice destinations along the Wind River Road up past Carson. The Stabler Country Store has the last provisions out that way. Turn left on Hemlock Road, then right on FR 417 to reach a Crest Trail access and surrounding old growth research forest. (Last ~mile is well-maintained gravel.)
These are educated comments. +1
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
Bridge of the Gods is perfectly fine to ride on. I've done it in dry weather, wet weather, windy weather. Take the lane, stay calm... No problems. Best part is looking down.
Exactly.

As a resident of Carson, Wa I can tell you that the Bridge of the Gods has a popular speed limit to the flow of traffic (truck,car,bike,ped) it dont matter. I remember driving across in a minivan and feeling the strong wind push harshly against the vehicle.

Yes! Its scary as hell. The people in that country will give you all the time you need to cross.