Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Site Admin

I get that they were trying to add drainage feature for wetland, but did it need to be at the expense of bike safety??? Openings are parallel to travel and some are wider than tire.
Attempting to link photos....

[IMG]
bikephoto3 by bujerbiker, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
bikephoto2 by bujerbiker, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]
bikephoto1 by bujerbiker, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by bobcycle; 03-18-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

Went through there this weekend for the first time. Stopped to take pictures of the sign cause it was funny, then almost did what the sign showed! Coming up the other direction I tried to shift so I could climb the hill, wheel caught but I got my feet down in time, ended up walking up the hill.

Be careful there!

Did see a family of California Quail just south of there, little chicks and all.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcycle View Post
I get that they were trying to add drainage feature for wetland, but did it need to be at the expense of bike safety??? Openings are parallel to travel and some are wider than tire.
That's just plain poor design. What agency developed the trail? There are a number of choices for permeable paved surfaces, if such a narrow surface area really needs it (seems like permeable shoulders would soak up all the run-off from the trail). Simply changing the paver pattern to a staggered brick pattern, or a herringbone pattern, would prevent tire-catching joints. Someone goofed on that design.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Site Admin

Default what agency?

I believe it was developed by the city of Gresham - probably the best palce to start is with Michelle Kimble, who is the bike/ped planner there -- Michelle.Kimble@GreshamOregon.gov
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Site Admin

These could have simply been laid out diagonally.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by q`Tzal View Post
These could have simply been laid out diagonally.
Heading north from Powell Blvd. the tiles start as a diagonal pattern, but as the trail turns to the right the pattern remains the same and becomes parallel to direction of travel. However your comment is still valid, as the trail turns the pattern should have shifted so as to remain diagonal to direction of travel.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Site Admin

Maybe they can lay down a grate on one side so wheels don't fall in the cracks but water can still go through. We went through there again this weekend and made it OK but it's tricky with the curve, ruts and hill headed north.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Site Admin

Default They're aware and working on it

I read the following update in the Portland Wheelmen Touring Club newsletter: " I contacted Mike Green, the construction manager of the Gresham-Fairview Trail in order to express concerns about the pavers.... they will be improving this condition when the rainy season ends. They will be filling the spaces between tiles with mortar.... If this is not successful they are considering paving over them." To see the entire article you'll have to get a copy of the PWTC bulletin, unfortunately it is not available on line. Club members are mailed the bulletin monthly, perhaps a good reason to join a local club.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Site Admin

I forget which blog I saw this photo on but it shows a herring bone paving pattern without tire-grabbing grooves. Dutch, of course...learning curve and all that. Oh, here we go with the image...

Trike near ferry by Willeke_igkt, on Flickr

Last edited by Alan; 04-05-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Flickr IMG tags are hard to find.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Gresham-Fairview trail

Quote:
" I contacted Mike Green, the construction manager of the Gresham-Fairview Trail in order to express concerns about the pavers.... they will be improving this condition when the rainy season ends. They will be filling the spaces between tiles with mortar.... If this is not successful they are considering paving over them."
As of about a month ago nothing has changed; the pavers are still as pictured in the previous post.