Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2011, 05:35 PM
lacorota lacorota is offline
Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N.E. Portland (Hollywood).
Posts: 88
Default Riding to Portland to Astoria

I'm planning a day ride --perhaps -- to Astoria next month. I haven't ridden much beyond St. Helens along hwy. 30; I've never driven that stretch either. It has a generous shoulder to St. Helens, and appearing beyond. I've "heard" the shoulder is good excepting a 4 or 5 mile stretch, and it has a serious climb along the way. So--

Questions:

Is the shoulder adequate the entire distance?
What's the elevation gain for the distance?


I'm hoping it's not intentionally seeded with nails or tacks, such as I frequently find on Larch Mtn. road.

Any info. or suggestions are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:44 PM
drosen drosen is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 144
Default

I guess it's OK, but it's not a lot of fun. Full of noise, cars, and noise. Did I mention the noise?

I take a different route to Astoria from Portland. I get to Scapoose and take the "Scaponia" Highway to Highway 47 and then go north through Mist (where I started my teaching career), Birkenfeld, Olney, and then to Astoria. Quieter and I must say the logging trucks have been very generous with their courtesy to me while biking. Pretty scenery along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacorota View Post
I'm planning a day ride --perhaps -- to Astoria next month. I haven't ridden much beyond St. Helens along hwy. 30; I've never driven that stretch either. It has a generous shoulder to St. Helens, and appearing beyond. I've "heard" the shoulder is good excepting a 4 or 5 mile stretch, and it has a serious climb along the way. So--

Questions:

Is the shoulder adequate the entire distance?
What's the elevation gain for the distance?


I'm hoping it's not intentionally seeded with nails or tacks, such as I frequently find on Larch Mtn. road.

Any info. or suggestions are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
rainperimeter's Avatar
rainperimeter rainperimeter is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ne.pdx/montavillain
Posts: 289
Default

i've taken 30 on the way back to portland and it mostly sucks. go the way drosen says. i've gone that way, uh, not sure how many times. a bunch. way nicer.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
zpl's Avatar
zpl zpl is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NE Portland (Hollywood)
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosen View Post
I guess it's OK, but it's not a lot of fun. Full of noise, cars, and noise. Did I mention the noise?

I take a different route to Astoria from Portland. I get to Scapoose and take the "Scaponia" Highway to Highway 47 and then go north through Mist (where I started my teaching career), Birkenfeld, Olney, and then to Astoria. Quieter and I must say the logging trucks have been very generous with their courtesy to me while biking. Pretty scenery along the way.
How do you get from Portland up to Scapoose? How are the shoulders along 202?

Thanks,

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 PM
rainperimeter's Avatar
rainperimeter rainperimeter is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ne.pdx/montavillain
Posts: 289
Default

i lied. i usually head up over the west hills, through hillsboro, north plains, etc., out to banks. then the banks-vernonia trail. hwy 202 is fine. the traffic is very, very light. i don't think there is much in the way of shoulder but all the times i've gone it hasn't been an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM
jeff jeff is offline
Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 85
Thumbs up

Another thumbs up for the Mist-birkenfeld-Jewell route. Too much traffic on highway 30, albeit with shoulders. 202 doesn't have any shoulders but the traffic is so light you don't really need 'em. Like RP , I too prefer going banks-vernonia trail to Vernonia - but this is doubtless considerably longer. You can hop the MAX to Hillsboro to cut out some distance...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Simple Nature's Avatar
Simple Nature Simple Nature is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 861
Default

Only thing I would add about getting to the Banks-Vernonia trail through Hillsboro is to be aware that the country side belongs to commerce on weekdays. On weekends, people are quite forgiving about bicycles on the roadways. Several very nice routes between Hillsboro and Banks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 AM
jeff jeff is offline
Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 85
Default to the Coast

this shows a pretty quiet route between Hillsboro and Banks -- as well as other north coast routes:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...36638&a=301633
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
drosen drosen is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 144
Default

I do take Highway 30 up to Scapoose, I must confess. Now that the Bank-Vernonia Trail is pretty much clear to Vernonia, I'll try that. But, everyone who's written about 202 is correct. The road is practically barren on the weekend, very quiet. I've never taken it during the week, so I can't speak to that. The "Scaponia" way has a nice climb to it and a great downhill stretch after reaching the summit. Also, if you want, you can turn at Olney and go to Seaside instead of going straight to Astoria. The Seaside route is nice, but there's a good climb before you get to Seaside. I've done that ride as well. Puts you just a smidge north of Seaside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpl View Post
How do you get from Portland up to Scapoose? How are the shoulders along 202?

Thanks,

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Simple Nature's Avatar
Simple Nature Simple Nature is offline
Senior Member
Site Admin
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
this shows a pretty quiet route between Hillsboro and Banks -- as well as other north coast routes:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...36638&a=301633
Nice find, Jeff. Forgot all about that link.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:25 PM.




A production of Pedaltown Media Inc. / BikePortland.org
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.