Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 05:18 AM
Site Admin

Exclamation Riding for the kids (protest ride)

When is the protest ride?

If you don't know already....Mitch Greenlick, a Portland Democrat who represents District 33 (Northwest Portland/Forest Park), has decided that itís in the publicís best interest to ban people from bicycling with children under 6 on their bikes or in a bike trailer.

I thought this was a pro-cycling and pro-family State?!?! I can't be the only one cheesed about this.... most trailers are too small for kids who are 6yo. By age 6 - many have transitioned from trailers to their own bike - so all this will do is hurt the families with small kids, cost jobs in OR (the companies that make trailers and bike seats for kids, make bikes that haul little kids, sell those seats/trailers/bikes, etc). If you regularly ride a bike and get pregnant - you will effectively put away your bike for up to 7 years. So those who love riding will find other means of getting around during the mandatory time off a bike - by the time the sentence is up, many may not return to the bike but stay in their car/minivan.

If there was a ride, will you go?
Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorDad View Post

Don't have any kids of my own, and I've got a really weird schedule these days (I'm on a training graveyard shift at PDX, and going to PSU), but if it didn't completely ruin my chance at getting a decent grade (or falling asleep in class) I'd be interested.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Site Admin

Anyone know where I can rent a kid?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q`ztal View Post
Anyone know where I can rent a kid?
Heh! While I can't imagine Greenlick's Folly getting anywhere, you do point out an obvious protest move: Dummies! If I had a longtail, I'd be stuffing some kid's clothes, a ski mask and a skid lid together, then adding enough internal coat-hanger wire to help it assume a nice Bart Simpson surfing stance on the back board.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Site Admin

Yes.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Site Admin

I believe that ride is Kidical mass on Saturday,,,
Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Site Admin

Default Team Out of Touch

Well I suppose the Rep didn't write the darn thing alone so the dunderheads on the legislative team need to kick their own azzes for writing that up and submitting it. WTF. Obvious to the ENTIRE WORLD no one in Mitch's office ever had kids in a bike trailer.

What a gaffe. They should all be embarassed for being so careless. Seriously? They're sitting around the table talking to Mitch and not one person has any experience with a freakin bike trailer? Or thinks to go ASK someone? How old is Mitch - I mean you know did he lose track of the ability to determine the age of a small child in a trailer? I can't imagine he's NEVER SEEN a child in a bike trailer.

Nor can I imagine it's the sam around the damn table or in the freakin office... SOMEONE had to know that this is really NOT the right "safety message" through legislation.

Use their damn heads and any fool can see you gotta legislate to make bike trailers safer for small children.

Why not legislate on the autos - See a bike trailer on a residential street? 15mph MAX SPEED. What do you think of that no-cost legislative idea? Boom!

Don't deny struggling middle class families the ability to save a ton of money and pollution by not having to DRIVE their kids everywhere.

Perhaps a few folks should be looking for employment... or at least donating some overtime towards getting this thing right?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Site Admin

Will you be stopping at a pub or two?