Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Site Admin

Default Pdx

Does anyone here bike to PDX? I am thinking of moving to Portland and when visiting, noticed a paved bike trail paralleling the max/highway. Is it safe, feasible, etc?
How much of the route is a dedicated bike path toward downtown (as opposed) to sharing the road with cars?
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Site Admin

We're talking about to the airport, yes? And to which trail are you referring? The I205 path does indeed parallel 205 and the Max line, and is a relatively low stress route. There are a few glaringly bad crossings of major roadways (poorly marked, convoluted, etc.) but they are gradually getting better. I wouldn't ride it at night alone, but otherwise its a fine trail.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Site Admin

...or the Hwy 26 bike path

From the west-side, you can get to the path in relative safety with bike lanes or residential routes. But the trail does dump you off just before the Zoo where you begin to fend for yourself. Most commuters know about bikes in these areas but there are no dedicated bike lanes from Sylvan eastbound but that's a downhill to the zoo.

From the zoo, you can always hop on Max to get into PDX proper if that helps. But commute times can be fairly crowded on the train.

As for downtown, you have to become traffic. Since there are mostly one way streets, there is always more then one lane down to the river. Lights are clocked at about 17-18mph. Bike lanes start up again once you reach the river and a suitable commute can likely be formulated on the east side of the river. You just have to be very aware of door zones.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Site Admin

I haven't heard of problems on the I-205 path at night; I'd ride at least the part I know, Vancouver to Gateway.

There is covered bike parking at PDX terminal near the north end of the baggage level. It's only partly fenced for visitor bikes, employees have a locked fence, and yes, some employees ride bikes to PDX. There is a bike route from the terminal to the 205 path, past MAX Cascade Station, most of it separated, two blocks on a quiet side street (Google maps' bike routes shows it well). MAX goes to PDX (baggage level, south end) and you can take a bike on it (no trikes, trailers, longtails...).

Getting to downtown by bike...not without shared streets! I'd look at Cully to 57th to Tillamook. Cully has a cycle track, 57th has bike lanes and plenty of bike traffic, and Tillamook is an easy-riding greenway, but connections from PDX and 82nd to Cully are challenging, and bridge connections on the west end are a planning exercise themselves.

Or MAX to Gateway, then Halsey to 92nd to Tillamook.

Someday Sullivan's Gulch!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Site Admin

Jimbo, here's the mother of all bike map locators from the City's website
- i think you'll find this helpful:

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/39402

many are available in print, as well as digital.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Site Admin

I ride in along 26 4 days a week. The ride up over the hill on the path is really nice and easy to get to. Climbing out of the Zoo, dropping down Fairview to the Rose Garden and down into town is pretty easy, and fairly safe IMO. SN got the light speed wrong in down town - 12-13mph. Very easy to exceed it going toward the river. You need to work a bit harder going west

I've ridden the I205 path a couple of times - can't say I'm the biggest fan of the at-grade crossings on busy streets, and it's really not suited for speed runs but other people's tastes differ.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Site Admin

Thanks everyone!