Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Site Admin

Default Situational positioning, and Avoiding Right Hooks

Very good back and forth discussion over at bikeforums 'Advocacy & Safety' category, that so far, in large part, touches on how people riding where motor vehicles are traveling alongside them to their left, can well handle approaches to intersections, so as to avoid the 'right hook'.

Stupid driver tricks.-Multcomedic over at bikeforums

I've included the OP's given thread title in the link above, but in reading responding comments, you'll quickly find the reactions to the vids the OP posts links to, are directed more to certain actions in particular, of the OP, rather than the people driving.

Also, though I don't think it would change what I've written so far, here, about the discussion, I've not yet seen the videos the OP provided links to.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Site Admin

this is Zymurgy... he posted those videos here to the "Caught on Video" thread...

and your link looks like the Oregon Live comments section with everybody blaming the victim... so sad...
Old 12-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Site Admin

Spiffy...thanks for your thoughts.

Avoiding instances of collisions is the main point of responses to the OP's examples presented in the bikeforum discussion.

What people in that discussion quickly caught on to, is that from a defensive biking perspective, the OP unwisely took action that made themselves a victim.

Of course, it's the personal choice of anyone that rides, to knowingly do exactly what the OP apparently did that jeopardized their safety, and then attribute the cause of the situation to the person driving. I'd say that doing so is a bad choice, and that any injury consequently resulting from a collision, is more likely to be upon the person biking.