Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Site Admin

Default "Welcome to America's Bike Captial" - Sign Change?

I stopped in to Pedal Bike Tours today and commented how I had never been in the shop before, but loved the mural.

The employee commented: they like it was well, and that they hope to keep it up as long as possible as "the state" is making them take the text off. They're okay with the bike logo, but not the text.

I'm not sure if the entity requiring them is necessarily "the state" or who that is referring to, but it seems odd to me that the bike shop would have to remove this text. Is it because of the claim?

I told them they should start a petition as I believe Portland (and Oregon) residents, cyclists or not, would support keeping the mural as is. Yes, it has the Pedal Bike Tours logo, but I think as a whole it supports Portland image as a great cycling town. I know I've seen tourists take pictures with this in the background.

Anyone know of a regulation that supports the removal of the claim? I'm not sure how this is any different than the "Keep Portland Weird" mural that is basically across the street? (Doesn't Austin claim this too?) ...Portland can be weird, but not make a claim to be the US Bike Capital???

http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/25/n...-capital-75132
Old 03-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Site Admin

I suspect it is not in compliance with Portland's mural ordinance.