Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Site Admin

Question here comes the rain again

i've never succeeded in biking through the winter. one time i tried, i got junk fenders that rubbed my tires. another time, i bought rain pants that weren't rain pants and ended up with blocks of ice where my legs used to be.

so. where did you winter bikers get your fenders and how much do you love them? and your rain pants? i'm a huge cheapskate, so the cheaper the better.

thanks.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Site Admin

and what about the ears and head. I keep my hair really short so even on the slightly brisk days my head gets kinda chilly.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Site Admin

My memory is that City Bikes sell basic fender sets for $25-30, and charge around $12 for installation if you donít want to do the install yourself. As far as I know, the fenders are around retail, but the installation fees are less than half what Bike Gallery charges.

For rain pants you can troll through the thrifts or just buy new from $30-$50 for decent ones. REI is selling some that are breathable for $45. Iím sure with some shopping you can do better than that being REI is usually at the upper end of price ranges.

Gel-
Fleece headbands with ear covers are pretty easy to find for around $10 at most outdoor stores and they fit pretty well with helmets. There are full head versions as well.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Site Admin

Default wear wool!

wool insulates even when it's wet...cotton doesn't. a fleece(which is ironic, because fleece is really wool(or alpaca, et.al.)) headband will probably be made of acrylic, or cotton, both of which will leave your ears unpleasantly damp and cold if it rains on you. knit yourself a headband out of wool or alpaca and you'll be much better off.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Site Admin

I bought one of the plastic fenders that have two velcro strips on them. Place one side of the velcro on your bike downtube, and then put the fender on when it's wet. I got my last set at REI for $5 and that was to replace the old set I lost when I moved. I have a rear rack so I don't use a rear fender.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Site Admin

Default Rain pants

My kids got me some rain pants from the Campmoor catalog (perhaps not "true" bike rainpants) and they have worked very well. I understand they were much less expensive than the kind you get at the bike stores.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Site Admin

Smile thanks!

i've been meaning to get a rear rack, but never put two and two together that it would help me out in the winter. excellent.

i'll look at the campmoor site, too.

thanks everybody.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Site Admin

The rack doesn't work near as well as fenders, but it works well enough for my purposes.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Site Admin

Default Don't forget your feet

As a dedicated year-round commuter, I've noticed that while thicker tights (or the aforementioned rain pants from Campmoor) are good for your legs, you need to waterproof your feet to really enjoy the experience. I would try neoprene booties for clipless pedals, or using a good waterproofer (Snow Seal or the like, I'm talking solid wax here) on boots. Putting a produce bag over your bare feet, then wool socks, then another produce bag over the socks, held up on your calf with a rubber band is another trick to keep the tootsies toasty (keeps the sock drier and warmer). It doesn't keep the shoe dry however, so it will be very cold to put back on for the evening commute.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelFreak View Post
and what about the ears and head. I keep my hair really short so even on the slightly brisk days my head gets kinda chilly.
Try checking out Buff. I got one as a gift, and it actually works well as a balaclava/neckwarmer/hat under my helmet. Basically it's a tube of fabric; there's a fleece version even.

Yes, it's the thing they wear on Survivor, but don't let that turn you away.