Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Site Admin

Angry Rogue Bikers

I'm curious why an increasing percentage of bikers do not feel they have to obey the laws of the road or even common courtesy. Several times in the past week or two as I walk down the sidewalk I've almost been hit by a biker who is weaving in and out, between pedestrians or back and forth between the sidewalk and the street.

I've observed similar actions when I'm driving. Bicyclists continually breeze through red lights and stop signs and expect everyone else to stop and wait.

You might get a little more respect if you started acting respectable. You would probably be looked upon more favorably if you took actions to help the regular and expedient flow of traffic rather than organizing demonstrations to tie up traffic.

A couple of questions:
1. Have I just run into every idiot biker on the roads in Portland or have you noticed more rude bike behavior?

2. What are you doing to encourage the responsible (and discourage the disruptive) use of bicycles?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Site Admin

In MANY aspects, I completely agree with you on your observances. I have just recently bought my first road bike and am still adjusting to some things. Fortunately, there's one thing I do not have to adjust to: operating a transportation vehicle. I dont J-walk, and I dont run red lights...I'm not about to begin while on two wheels either.
I agree that more responsible cycling habits would benefit the cycling community as a whole especially in the eyes of competing traffic! We all have it tough enough.
Cheers!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Site Admin

Default Bad Bikers or Bad drivers which one is worse?

While I agree with you that there are bikers who do, for some unknown reason, ride on the sidewalk when they should be on the road or breeeze through stop signs when they should stop, there are also many bikers who obey the law and act responsibly. I thnik it is natural to notice the "bad seeds" and not notice the law abiding riders.

Unfortunately, a bad driver can cause much more damage and, in my experience, is more apt to be in a hurry and make a mistake. I have witnessed countless numbers of drivers breezing through stop signs because they are in a hurry or just clueless. Plus it is a heck of a lot easier to stomp on a gas pedal and whiz around town than it is for a biker who actually has to pedal and get up to speed.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Site Admin

No shortage of idiots on bikes or in cars. Both can contribute to the circumstances that lead to their untimely meeting.

I think the key for the bike riders who obviously are at a size disadvantage are to do everything they can to prevent an incident (bright clothing, obeying traffic laws, observing traffic, etc) and protect themselves in the event of an actual crash (like wearing helmets).

We can groan about the cars all we want. But at the end of the day, there is nothing that is going to remove cars from our streets. I do believe that continually putting the message out through media outlets with regard to sharing the road helps. Obviously the efforts of this forum/blog, as well as many other groups, help to make that happen. Great job!

Please be careful out there!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Site Admin

Cool

As a regular bike commuter (from Vancouver to Portland), I certainly see my share of ill-mannered road users (of all varieties). Yes, it does take extra time to come to a complete stop; but then, I'm not riding against the clock on the way to work. Yes, the day-glow vest and helmet reflectors may not look cool or may ruin the pro look you are grooming. However, not getting to ride because you were run over by a half-asleep driver also tends to ruin the vibe. Finally, how can you look your kids in the eye when instructing them in the rules of the road (for any transport method, be it foot, bike, or auto) if you don't yourself follow the rules. BTW, this includes helmet usage!

As a post-note thought, any suggestions of how we can kindly urge our fellow riders to follow those rules without sounding like a scolding parent?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Site Admin

Angry I do act respectable

"You might get a little more respect if you started acting respectable. "

Your use of the second person here is problematic, angry. Basically, you've accused every person who reads your complaint of not acting respectable. I'm surprised anyone has bothered to reply to such a blatant insult.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Site Admin

Some good thoughts here, but to me it appears that the main question is, how to reach the "casual" bike riders and teach them the rules of the road, bike-style???

And, angrypedestrian, how about those walkers who step off the curb without looking around as to what's coming at them, or wander around paying attention to anything else but the other road-users?? Or not picking up after their dog makes poopie on the trail? Not to attack pedestrians, just pointing out that sometimes peds are no better than the rogue bicyclists.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Site Admin

There are some truly arrogant, stupid people on bikes, no doubt. Thing is, since you can't expect these morons to behave any better piloting a motor-vehicle...aren't ya glad they're at least on bikes and not driving?

On a serious note: I work near the intersection of Waterfront and SE Caruthers, and the street is chock-a-block with city vehicles and heavy equipment working on the Big Pipe. The workers are having one Hell of a time with the clueless twits blowing stop signs at both ends and ignoring the flaggers. We are going to have a serious injury or a death right outside our doors any day now; I hope I'm wrong, but it seems inevitable.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Site Admin

Default All the posters here seem to be saints!

My personal experience is that more than half the bicycle riders in Portland do not stop for stop signs unless there is another vehicle at the intersection. A very large number don't even appear to slow down. I've been on several big organized rides where the brochures always say, "we will obey all traffic laws!", but the riders simply follow the rider in front of them apparently assuming "well, it was safe for them!" They just do the route, regardless of who has the right of way.

My further personal experience is that riders in a group almost never stop for stop signs. I don't know why - perhaps it only takes one to ignore the sign, and the others just tag along. The why isn't important.

I know that running a stop sign at 10mph after looking both ways on approach is probably quite safe. (It would also be safe for a car to do that.) It is, however, against the law, and it irritates the heck out of the rest of the community. We collectively should not be surprised when we are not appreciated.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Site Admin

Lightbulb Encouraging Responsible Use

One wonderful aspect of bicycles is that we are free to communicate to each other with words rather than obnoxious horns or middle fingers. Last night, for example, I was on my bike stopping at the 4-way stop at SE 34th and Lincoln. There were cars also stopping from two other directions. As we were quickly assessing who had the right-of-way, two bicyclists ride from behind one of the stopped cars through the intersection without stopping. I yelled "Nice stop!" Not sure if they heard me, but next time I'm going to be prepared to express my discontent. Perhaps me yelling will not change their habits but I hope it proved to the car-drivers that not all bicyclists are irresponsible.

Is it just me or do most renegade cyclists seem to be riding single-speeds and fixies? What's that all about?