Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Site Admin

Default Commuting rewards?

Hope I haven't misssed an earlier discussion of this...with the BTA Bike Commute Challenge coming up, I'm trying to convince my employer that bicycle commuters should be offered at least a small reward for keeping the air clean, staying healthy, freeing up parking spaces, etc.... (We already have secure bike parking and access to showers.)

I work for a very large company. Autocommuters get lots of free parking; at some locations commuters get tri-met passes (when parking is scarce). Ya think they could offer bicyclists at least a free cup of coffee, a bag of trail mix, a coupon for a local bike shop - anything!

Can anyone share stories of how their employers encourage bicycle commuting? Would love to take examples to the administrators in my organization so they could see they're not keeping up with the "community standard" on this issue.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Site Admin

Consider yourself lucky - we don't have secure bike parking, and we don't have showers.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Site Admin

lol...well my employer allows me to bring my bike inside with me....does that count?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Site Admin

Wink

Getting to take your bike into the building is at least some reward! We have bike lockers, but some folks here have pointed out that their handlebars prohibit use of lockers (too narrow). Secure bike parking is therefore a bigger issue than I thought at first.

So a couple of us are going to meet for lunch and strategize a way to approach administration about making the place more friendly for bicyclists. The Bike Commute Challenge literature mentions something about an energy tax credit for employers - can anyone tell me more about that? Sounds like an incentive for employers to provide incentives to bicyclists
Old 08-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenskate View Post
.................. The Bike Commute Challenge literature mentions something about an energy tax credit for employers - can anyone tell me more about that? ..................................

Senate Bill 2635

BillD
Old 08-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Site Admin

I guess that I'm one of the luckier commuters. My employer has locker rooms, covered bike parking (and lets some of us by the back door bring our bikes into our cubicles right inside the back door), and pays us $30 a month if we ride or take alternative transportation to work 80% of the time. I'm pretty certain that they get a tax incentive (and reduced medical costs) for doing this.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Site Admin

Default My company

We have it pretty good. Showers and locker rooms for men and women. Locking bicycle cage for about 15 bicycles. The company will pay a cab ride home, or let you use a fleet vehicle if you have an emergency or are compelled to work late. For the Commute challenge "The Man" is giving each participant a high Vis reflective vest. (last year it was an orange Tee shirt with reflective stripes)

During August and September the bike storage is beyond capacity, so we still have something to grumble about.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Site Admin

Senate Bill 2635 - Nice article...I hope it passes.