Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Site Admin

Given the amount of regular cross-state activity by residents of Oregon and Washington, it's worthwhile for metro area residents to have good sources of information about 'active transportation' related road and trail status and developments and people's attitudes about them in the Vancouver area.

People hearing about this stuff should probably be starting threads about it, in the General Discussion forum, to get the word out.

Unless or until the news from Vancouver turns out to be an overwhelming number of items with many responses, maybe a given Vancouver thread could cover different items from different days. The OP for the thread could make an index on the first post for different items appearing on subsequent pages.

Last edited by wsbob; 10-15-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Site Admin

The thing about a region having its own forum is that everything is in one place; a filing system. If you want to look up something from a year or so back that you only vaguely remember, there's a good chance you will find it in a small group of threads, even if you don't remember keywords to search. Or someone can just follow the one small section which interests them; I think more people might participate when the forum was specific to their location.

I'm not too keen on a long-running thread about Clark County (or any geographic region) with a "sticky" to keep it on top because the topics within that thread would be widely divergent. For example, time-critical info about a meeting on bike infrastructure would get buried under the same generic thread Title as info about a bike club or local routes.

Last edited by Alan; 10-15-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: add "Or..."
Old 10-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The thing about a region having its own forum is that everything is in one place; a filing system. If you want to look up something from a year or so back that you only vaguely remember, there's a good chance you will find it in a small group of threads, even if you don't remember keywords to search. Or someone can just follow the one small section which interests them; I think more people might participate when the forum was specific to their location.

I'm not too keen on a long-running thread about Clark County (or any geographic region) with a "sticky" to keep it on top because the topics within that thread would be widely divergent. For example, time-critical info about a meeting on bike infrastructure would get buried under the same generic thread Title as info about a bike club or local routes.

That items related to a particular region being in one place helps those items to be somewhat organized, is a valid point. The reality here though for portland bikeforums, is that opportunity for such a sub-forum or category isn't presently an option.

I don't know the exact reasons it's not an option. Money is probably the big reason. This is Jonathan Maus's operation. He owns the site and pays the bills from ad revenue and donations. If there were more forum activity and more money, he'd probably have money and justification to add more categories. I figure that's not presently the situation.

By the way: unless businesses and other concerns haven't indicated any interest, it might be acceptable for the forums to run some advertisements. Ads can be kind of annoying, but sometimes they're helpful, and if they help pay the bills too...definitely have a few.

Also, I meant to mention in the earlier comment, that when people do post Vancouver, Clark County, or other specific related threads, if they were to specifically indicate this in the name chosen for the thread in the thread title box, that would likely make those threads turn up easily using the sites search engine.

So like: 'Vancouver: City Council Enacts All-Ages Mandatory Helmet Use'. Punch 'Vancouver' into the search box, and all the threads with that name in the thread titles should come up.