Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb I've asked... I'll ask again.

I lack the ability to create a new forum.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Site Admin

Thanks for making that clear, and no worries about it, K'Tesh. "Maybe someday."
Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Site Admin

Default All About the East Side

Portland's other Portland... via Willamette Week:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl..._portland.html

Time for a forum? I kinda miss the Westsiders... they're hanging out over there... in their own special little forum, talking about the cool stuff.

Sigh.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelnite View Post

Time for a forum? I kinda miss the Westsiders... they're hanging out over there... in their own special little forum, talking about the cool stuff.

Sigh.
Some of us are still here.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelnite View Post

Sigh.

Say again? Clicked on that link. It doesn't lead to anything having to do with the Westside, but rather...the east side of Portland. None of the people commenting to the linked willyweek forum seem to be westsiders, or have much to say about the Westside that's worth reading.

I can understand Alan and DMC's interest in a bikeportland forum category for Vancouver, but I've got to wonder if there's really enough people prepared to participate. Doesn't seem to be. Hardly seems enough to justify the Westside forum, although...it periodically does have its moments; most recently, a bit of co-operative effort towards having the path adjacent to a lamp pole on the Sunset MUP marked so that path would be a bit safer for everybody.

Last edited by wsbob; 10-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Site Admin

The westside forum here, wsbob.

We have enough subforums already. About half of them haven't seen 5 posts this year. Consolidate to make the main forum more active and interesting.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
The westside forum here, wsbob.

We have enough subforums already. About half of them haven't seen 5 posts this year. Consolidate to make the main forum more active and interesting.

"The westside forum here..." Psyfalcon

Could you be more specific about what you're saying? I'm not sure whether you're suggesting 'All about the Westside' be folded into 'General Discussion' subforum, or something else.

At any rate, I'm not a mod, or even somebody that understands well the structure for this forum and what it would take to allow its structure to be more engaging.

I do wish there were more of an active people involvement in local developments arising from the forum. For example, in Beaverton, we've got the vote to authorized or reject Urban Renewal coming up real soon in November. Seems like it could be helpful to people, having an easily accessible public format available to toss a few ideas around about the pros and cons of potential developments like Urban Renewal as it relates to walking and biking. After all, everybody in Beaverton...it's your money City Hall is wanting to spend.

I started a thread about that very subject over in 'All About the Westside', but it didn't seem to initiate any discussion. If the reason discussion there didn't happen has something to do with structure or organization of the forum, it would be worth hearing what people specifically think that reason might be.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Site Admin

You said the link didn't link to anything about the westside. It wasn't supposed to. The westside reference was to the one here.

I was also not speaking directly to you about merging forums. In general, as a dissenting voice against westside, eastside, etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
You said the link didn't link to anything about the westside. It wasn't supposed to. The westside reference was to the one here.

I was also not speaking directly to you about merging forums. In general, as a dissenting voice against westside, eastside, etc.
"You said the link didn't link to anything about the westside. It wasn't supposed to. The westside reference was to the one here. ..." Psyfalcon

Oh...okay...I had to read that again to catch the meaning.

Maybe, on westside, eastside not being separate. But 'All About the Westside' is only a click away for people that want to check out related topics. Only takes a few seconds more to go back to the main general discussion page.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Site Admin

"To support Alan's motion of a Clark County forum, I feel it would be a welcomed addition. Perhaps too premature however? I personally don't think there is enough involvement as of yet to support another forum." - dmc

I need to make my stance clear on this. I don't think there is any real gain other than convenience and perhaps a little bit of pride to diversify these boards further.

When it is time, we will all know it's time.