Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Site Admin

I'd like an Eastside forum please... (:

and a For Sale forum would also be nice... but hide it from people that aren't registered so we don't get people coming here just for that...

off-topic could be fun... again, visible to registered users only...

I'm interested in the idea of a spontaneous fun forum for posting things that you just thought of an hour ago... if it was Eastside specific I think I'd subscribe to email updates so I could possibly get in on the instant fun... could just use the new Eastside forum though... (:
Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Site Admin

I've noticed ridership has increased alot lately out this way.Possibly make mention of the Far-East too. (Gresham,Troutdale,Fairview,Columbia Gorge)
Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Site Admin

Default Vancouver: +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
Maybe we need a 'Classic and Vintage' category...
Well, there's the "Who rides what?" thread with the sticky. It could use a nudge occassionally but it seems like a good place to show off your ride, even if it's only in your dreams.

As far as regional forums, the action on the "All About the West Side" forum makes me envious of that group. I wonder if a Vancouver group would have enough traffic to make it viable? It might help some people focus in on issues more local to them. Overall it seems like it could only help, not hurt, so I'm in favor of it. Not a burning priority but a good idea worth trying.

Same for East Side, North Portland and maybe some other geographic break-outs as others here have suggested.

Last edited by Alan; 05-25-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Well, there's the "Who rides what?" thread with the sticky. It could use a nudge occassionally but it seems like a good place to show off your ride, even if it's only in your dreams.

As far as regional forums, on the "All About the West Side" forum makes me envious of that group. I wonder if a Vancouver group would have enough traffic to make it viable? It might help some people focus in on issues more local to them. Overall it seems like it could only help, not hurt, so I'm in favor of it. Not a burning priority but a good idea worth trying.

Same for East Side, North Portland and maybe some other geographic break-outs as others here have suggested.
The 'action' on the "All About the West Side" forum makes you envious? Well, being a westsider forum participant, I guess I'm impressed. Sometimes I wonder if people are actually reading and thinking about what the small number of people that post there are writing about and discussing. Alan...if you're looking in from time to time, maybe others outside of the West Side are too. So that would seem to strengthen the idea that other regional area categories really might be a constructive idea. Worth a try anyway.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Site Admin

Default regional area categories: +1

Quote:
The 'action' on the "All About the West Side" forum makes you envious?
Heh! Yeah, the way it looks to me is, someone asks about a westside route or LBS and they usually get two or three replies. Or announcements about bike-related city meetings may remind someone to attend, and often there are some sort of notes about the meeting, afterwards. (Kudos to you on that, Bob!)

Threads about Vancouver...not so much. There have been some in the past, but generally pretty quiet of late.

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if people are actually reading and thinking about what the small number of people that post there are writing about and discussing.
At least one. I generally glance at them, see if there's anything I'm interested in. Cues for specific routes that I don't ride don't get much thought. Meeting details, again not much thought, but the city plans and processes that happen with those meetings color my thinking for plans local to me. News of actual rides tends to fire my "fun...let's go!" reaction.

Actually, this thread got me to thinking about *how* I read this forum. I normally login and then use the "Quick Links/Today's Posts" menu to see what's new. But often I'm too busy to check every day, and often several days go by. So when I check back, I miss any threads that haven't been updated in the past day. I could dig around in the various categories and find them but usually that's more time than I can spend. So, I'm wondering if that "Today's Posts" link (or maybe another link) could be extended back to 2 or 3 days, and if that would maybe help a few more posters find and participate in current threads?

BTW, looks like I was wrong about the sticky on the "Who rides what?" thread...could have sworn it was nailed up. Maybe it needs a sticky?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb "Who rides what?" was moved, but still stuck.

Quote:
BTW, looks like I was wrong about the sticky on the "Who rides what?" thread...could have sworn it was nailed up. Maybe it needs a sticky?

"Who rides what?" is a stuck thread. However, it was moved to the Newbie Forum.

Quote:
So, I'm wondering if that "Today's Posts" link (or maybe another link) could be extended back to 2 or 3 days, and if that would maybe help a few more posters find and participate in current threads?
I din't know about the "Today's Post's" link. I'd never seen it before until you mentioned it, then I looked and found it in the "Quick Links" link in the menu bar. I don't know if it can be modified or not, I'll talk to Jonathan.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-26-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Site Admin

Alany...hey, well thanks, but aside from a couple on my part and some by others, I've got to say that the far majority of meeting date announcements that have been posted here in the forums have probably been done so by K'Tesh. I believe he's the guy that's been dropping in regularly on the meetings.

I'm not real crazy about the neighborhood and other types of meeting scene and the seemingly inevitable hierarchy structure they seem to rely on, but the fact is, they are part of the means by which decisions affecting the community we all live in is made. I haven't yet gone to enough local ones to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if mostly the only people that show up are the board members. Seriously. And so...the recommendations they pass on up the chain of decision making can wind up being derived from a relatively small amount of input. Bad situation I think.

If you're from Vancouver, and are giving some thought to dropping in to your neighborhood meeting, some of the other neighborhood meetings, city advisory boards and whatnot, I'd encourage you. Might take a bit to get on to the format, but in terms of bike-pedestrian improvements to that city, I'd bet there are important things being discussed and decided in those meetings that we aren't hearing about. A few notes from time to time, summarizing what's happening there, posted to this forum, might be something readers would be interested in following.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Site Admin

Default just yakkin'

Quote:
well thanks, but aside from a couple on my part ... I've got to say that the far majority of meeting date announcements that have been posted here in the forums have probably been done so by K'Tesh.
Yeah, understood that K'Tesh has posted many of the meeting notices but you still get credit for your input, Bob. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Thanks, K'Tesh; your efforts here really enhance my enjoyment of BikePortland. Aside, so that's where 'who rides what' went! And completely understood that changing the time period for "new posts" might not be an easy fix (guessing it might mean config or even code change in vbulletin), so it may not happen at all. No prob, just interesting how many ways there are to use the tools of this forum.

Quote:
I'm not real crazy about the neighborhood and other types of meeting scene and the seemingly inevitable hierarchy structure they seem to rely on, but the fact is, they are part of the means by which decisions affecting the community we all live in is made.
I've done enough community organizing/planning meetings to agree with you, Bob. I'm busy with other things and can't get deeply involved with bike/ped stuff right now, but I remain interested and I do know a few people and departments in Vancouver city government. Within its transportation department it has a bike/ped group which is active and held several open-house planning meetings last year. I went to two; met several up-and-coming mover-shaker types...hi, Jack, J.R. & Ted...and felt like my concerns over some bad spots might nudge things in the right direction. What helps me is knowing when particularly important or urgent meetings will happen, ones where another warm body might sway the outcome. Sometimes I see them in the local deadtree but I'd also like BikePortland to be a central kiosk for that sort of "all things bike" and regional forums seem like a good bet for that.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Site Admin

I dunno... I'd still have to fish through a bunch of different forums. My commute starts in Vancouver, goes through NorthEast, almost gets to downtown, then returns through North(ish) and back across Vancouver. I also ride a real pretty recumbent (not a fixie, though) so I've got "weird" covered like a blanket.

Subdividing forums can help organization, but sometimes throwing everything in one bucket can make for some pretty tasty soup.

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Site Admin

Default Vancouver/Clark County forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
To support Alan's motion of a Clark County forum, I feel it would be a welcomed addition. Perhaps too premature however? I personally don't think there is enough involvement as of yet to support another forum. I sometimes make an awareness to fellow bicycle riders of the Bikeportland website and they are questionable as to how it would apply to Clark County. Perhaps an awareness issue? I do feel there is enough room on this website to accommodate the booming and uprising Southwest Washington bicycle community. I dont mean to change the subject, but I definitely see this site growing in regional popularity over the next few years as bicycling becomes of greater interest to the community at whole.
I moved this over to the original thread about a Clark County forum. (Hopefully the quote link points back to where it came from: "Clark County residents, let your voices be heard!")

I find the common interest of bicycling stronger than the political boundary in the middle of the Columbia River, at least as far as my participation on BikePortland. While specific bureaucratic and legislative issues are distinct, overall the culture and circles of people involved in bikes in the two cities are quite integrated. Vancouver is very much part of metropolitan Portland, more related to it than to the Seattle bike scene. Getting Vancouver riders involved helps Portland, too, and yes, awareness is a big step toward involvement.

As far as active posters, there are about 5 or 6 from the west side, compared to you, me, Jeff, JR (now at school in Portland, but anyway), Lester and maybe a couple I'm not recalling in Clark Co. So, we're not that much smaller and I agree, having "our own" forum might draw in more participants.

I'm not trying to force the issue; I read it as simply not enough round tuits for it hit the top of Maus' list, and I completely understand that. OTOH, I haven't heard any official "No!" So, when threads come up which are specific to Vancouver and not Portland, I just like to give a little nudge to the idea, maybe moving one day closer to that forum.

Last edited by Alan; 10-11-2011 at 07:47 PM.