Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question New Forum Requests?

Any requests for new forums? A new Vancouver forum? All About The East Side?

Spammers need not apply
K'Tesh
Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Site Admin

Not forum requests so much as requests from forum members. More participation from forum members would be welcome...not that this is something management is responsible for. More people posting reports and comments about what's going on in their neighborhoods and along their commute routes, about developments that are improving transportation infrastructure in these areas is something I'd welcome.

I'm not a big neighborhood meeting attender, but drawing especially from the experience of having been to some in the last few months, I've come to realize how important what is discussed and agreed upon in them can be. I'm afraid not enough members of the public are going to these meetings. Of those that do attend, not enough of them are sharing their impressions in free (to us) forums like this.

I think it's worthwhile to refrain from politicizing a bicycle related interest forum such as this one is, but at the same time, it seems that forum members could be using it more effectively to relay info to readers about land use, livability and transportation issues being affected by local politics in their community.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Site Admin

i know it could become problematic, spammers, a flood of people signing up with no interest of sticking around in here or whatever, but a sales area would be awesome. i can't tolerate craigslist any longer. i don't want to sift through 100 posts of awesome magna's for 200 bucks when i'm looking for a nitto stem or whatever. but i would be into a sales section on here.

Last edited by rainperimeter; 05-22-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Site Admin

I'd like to see a Bike Talk section to share experience with homebuilts, specialty bikes, e-assist, and component reiews.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Site Admin

Default Perhaps a North Portland forum?

We seem to have beaucoup of commuter cyclists up here, but once we get home, that it.
Perhaps a forum to encourage more spontanious fun, more peninsula specific events. Just a suggestion...
Old 05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Site Admin

East Side!

I'd be up for an Off-Topic forum also. Non bike related, just a holding tank for everything else. Random videos, personal stuff, etc. I've seen this in other forums, and it can attract traffic that may help build more participation in the actual bike sections.

Or if it's an engaging enough forum, it could be a place where non-cyclists come just to check out random stuff and then mingle with us. I don't know, just a thought.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Site Admin

Maybe we need a 'Classic and Vintage' category like they got over at bikeforums, or one simply for 'p-u-r-r-r-dy bikes!' . Here's one from one that forums regulars, pastorbobnlnh, posted in the C&V category:

He and some of the others over there are more than just people with a lot of time to spare and money to drop on expensive bikes (or at least they certainly seem to be). Many of them have a wealth of knowledge, mechanical and historical. I know buried somewhere in our forum categories is a 'What do you ride?' category. A category title covering a broader subject area might have better 'stick-a-round' power for bikeportland forums.

Last edited by wsbob; 05-24-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Site Admin

Yea! A thread, fixed to the top of the forum, for photos of bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (52.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Site Admin

I like the fs/ft idea. Craigslist is chock-full of weirdos.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Site Admin

Default All About the East Side

hahah... yes K'Tesh - and Eastside thread - it's only fair!

Now I'm aware "everything is SE" so maybe to differentiate geographically it could be "All about the Outer East Side?"